• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pug_Will

Air Intake Meter

Guest Pug_Will

Ok guys.. this shows my NOOOB status when it comes to 205's

I took my car to the garage complaining that maybe my head gasket was going, the symptoms were....

1) had some emulsification round the top of the oil filler cap.

2) Oil preasure was seeming to be a bit low.

3) The car was losing power and running lumpy

Basically can anyone tell me what sort of level my oil preasure should be at on the guage to be healthy. And also tell me if the guy at the garage was right with his diagnoses.. He said that the air intake meter was not running correctly... but i looked on the German French Sweedish website and they only had an air intake meter for a 1.9 GTI and mine is a 1.6, any ideas??

ORB

they both have an air flow meter!

as does the mi16

Tom Fenton

1. Don't worry too much about some oil emulsification or "mayo" in the oil filler cap, this is quite common on 205s, especially if they get mainly used for short journeys. If you are worried then a couple of hours removing breather pipes and cleaning out with paraffin or carb cleaner is worthwhile.

2. You say oil pressure is low; why do you say this? Does the oil pressure warning light ever come on with the engine running? The standard gauge is at best a bit of a guess-o-meter, but generally when cold you should get about 4 "bars" on the gauge, when hot, down to maybe 1 "bar" on the gauge at idle. The important thing is that the pressure should rise if you rev the engine up.

3. Losing power and lumpy, this sounds like classic air flow meter problems to be honest. Has the car become noticeably thirstier on fuel recently? Is there black smoke evident from the exhaust? All 205 GTI's are now 15-odd years old at least, so its not suprising some of the components have now worn out. It is possible to effect a repair to the air flow meter, do a search for "retracking air flow meter". I have recently replaced a u/s air flow meter on my G reg 205, its a common fault. Beware of buying a second hand one off ebay or similar as it may well be no better than yours.

MrG

as for oil pressure readings, have a look at the following post, within there is another link that shows some pics of the guage in 'action'. But I think they all differ one way or another.

as for the problem, I agree with Tom, we had this after some numpty of a mech tried to alter the emissions on our GTi and buggered the AFM, ended up buying a recon (I think) unit and that solved it, but the problems you're experiencing on lack of power etc were all there.

oil pressure etc etc

Sign in to follow this