• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Stu

Following on from the dodgy oil pressure gauge thread, i too get some funny readings from my gauge, and given the insane price of a new sender i figured i might aswell invest in an aftermarket one.

Sooo.. what gives a more accurate reading, capilliary or the electrical sender type?

Im toying with the idea of this one, nice and simple, mechanical, not flash easy to see..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005

Or i quite like the look of this, i had a boost gauge from them that was cool, but im a little curious as to how accurate they are...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017

It NEEDS to be accurate, im not too fussed how it looks really, my car is primarily a track car so i think a good gauge and warning light type system would be handy to have.

jackherer

The first one is probably OK but the second one looks pretty bad.

I got one of these: 260202290308 It was very cheap and seems to be very good quality.

James_R

from think auto the mocal ones are good, Miles sells them ready to go on.

get mechanical if you can

Edited by James_R

Alastairh

I have SPA ones. Rather pricey mind :ph34r:

Stu

lol.. yeah, i quite fancy building a dash with a Stack, but the price puts me off.. :wacko:

rally ax

I've got an SPA one fitted to the AX - pressure and temp . You can set the warning lamps to warn about high temp or low pressue as well as checking the peak values. It can be set for PSI or bar . and oC or oF ,,really good piece of kit !

Stu
I've got an SPA one fitted to the AX - pressure and temp . You can set the warning lamps to warn about high temp or low pressue as well as checking the peak values. It can be set for PSI or bar . and oC or oF ,,really good piece of kit !

What sort of money are they bud?

Alastairh

They look the nuts aswell at night. Shame my mates hosting site is down as i have a pic of them in action.

Got a feeling they are around £150. I didn't buy mine, they came with the car so couldn't say if thats the kit or whatever.

Al

petert

This is probably not what you want to hear, but all you really need is a high quality oil pressure switch. Gauges are just there for looks and a general idea of the pressure. When the going gets tough, and the G forces start building up, you don't have time to look at what the gauge is doing. And by the time you have looked, it's back to normal anyway.

What I use is an adjustable falling pressure switch, which replaces the standard switch. The original pressure gauge still operates. However, I set the pressure switch to 25psi. The std. switch is approx. 8-10 psi. So when/if the pressure drops during a corner, the whole dash still lights up suggesting I should STOP. It flickers at idle when hot, but that's fine as I know it's all working properly. I can't recall the brand, but it's a quality item used by hospitals, mining industry etc.

Alastairh
This is probably not what you want to hear, but all you really need is a high quality oil pressure switch. Gauges are just there for looks and a general idea of the pressure. When the going gets tough, and the G forces start building up, you don't have time to look at what the gauge is doing. And by the time you have looked, it's back to normal anyway.

What I use is an adjustable falling pressure switch, which replaces the standard switch. The original pressure gauge still operates. However, I set the pressure switch to 25psi. The std. switch is approx. 8-10 psi. So when/if the pressure drops during a corner, the whole dash still lights up suggesting I should STOP. It flickers at idle when hot, but that's fine as I know it's all working properly. I can't recall the brand, but it's a quality item used by hospitals, mining industry etc.

Mine on my T16 was exactly the same.

I use to check the oil every time i used it just to make sure.

Just for an example. At high revs. My turbo standard gauge use to run 1.5 bar lower than the SPA gauges.

I just shrugged at it being a 15 year old sensor...

Sign in to follow this