• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest chrismk

Sheared Bolt !

Guest chrismk

Hi All

Just joined the site after having my first 205GTI for 3 months now and i have to say i love it.

everything was going well untill yesterday, i had just finished doing some work on the car and had it running up to normal operating temperature. i was watching the temperature gauge and wondering when the cooling fan would cut in when the radiator blew!!!!!

purchased a new radiator and a thermostat today, fitted the thermostat and whilst doing up the thermostat housing i sheared one of the bolts!!!!! it gets worse ;)

The other bolt i then dropped and it fell into a hole just above the starter motor and into where the flywheel is, i think??

just when i thought nothing else could go wrong my girlfriend decided to clean the inside of the kitchen window and climbed up on the sink so she could reach, she slipped and grabbed the tap breaking the pipe underneath and flooding the kitchen.

so as you can imagine a pretty bad day!!!!!!!!!

Anyway my questions are what should i check to fiqure out if the cooling fan is working?

Any thoughts on finding the missing bolt?

Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated

thanks

yorkshirekowboy
Hi All

Just joined the site after having my first 205GTI for 3 months now and i have to say i love it.

everything was going well untill yesterday, i had just finished doing some work on the car and had it running up to normal operating temperature. i was watching the temperature gauge and wondering when the cooling fan would cut in when the radiator blew!!!!!

purchased a new radiator and a thermostat today, fitted the thermostat and whilst doing up the thermostat housing i sheared one of the bolts!!!!! it gets worse ;)

The other bolt i then dropped and it fell into a hole just above the starter motor and into where the flywheel is, i think??

just when i thought nothing else could go wrong my girlfriend decided to clean the inside of the kitchen window and climbed up on the sink so she could reach, she slipped and grabbed the tap breaking the pipe underneath and flooding the kitchen.

so as you can imagine a pretty bad day!!!!!!!!!

Anyway my questions are what should i check to fiqure out if the cooling fan is working?

Any thoughts on finding the missing bolt?

Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated

thanks

right mate, the snapped bolt should be easy to get out, i did the same and i used a nail punch and hammer to undo it by knocking it,

with the missing bolt use a long magnetic magnet, mine is telescopic so its goes quite large, that should pick out the bolt.if its fallen down that gap im thinking of it should have a black plastic cap so maybe yours is lost, maybe be worth getting one!

as with the sink, she should pay for it ;)

hope this helps mate

lagonda

That's a right 205 day you were having! On the plus side, at least the radiator blew whilst you were home, that's more polite than my car would be.

On mine, the slow speed comes on when the temperature gauge is at the white mark just to the right of vertical. This wasn't working when I got my car ... the high speed was, but too late to stop the STOP warning coming on & doubtless contributed to the eventual blown head gasket (literally about to board the ferry at Dover for a day trip ... see what I mean?!).

The slow speed was easily fixed, it was just poor contacts at the fan thermoswitch, which is one of the things you would have had to unscrew from your old radiator to fit to the new one, it has 3 terminals.

If I remember correctly, you can test the fan for operation by shorting out 2 of the three terminals on the fan resistor. This is a cylindrical aluminium item with coincidentally 3 terminals. It may have been clipped to your original radiator. Can't remember which terminals to short, but you won't damage anything if you short the "wrong" pair. All being well, one pair shorted ("wrong" pair) will do nothing, another will give you slow speed, & the other, fast speed. In case it's not clear, you need to unpug the resistor & short out the terminals in the plug on the loom.

Good luck!

Normski

For the fans not coming on, check the wires going into the temperature switch (the sensor that screws into the radiator). On my car one or two of the three wires had broken due to corrosion.

large

Things always happen in 3s. Welcome to the world of Peugeot. As for the tap it must be the cars fault because if you hadn't been working on it you could have cleaned the window or thats what my girlfriend would tell me.

Sign in to follow this