• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Engine Building

skinner2k3

There are a few things I want to do before houses and families tie me down. I would really like to do a trip to the Nurburgring next year in my 205. I have confidence in the entire car except the engine (minor detail!!!)

Other than a trip to the ring another “must do” on my list is to rebuild an engine. I have three engines at my disposal two 1900s and one 1600, all runners plus a stack of other spares. So its seems building a “good” engine out of the three “average” engines I have with a view to make it to/round/back from the ring is a reasonable target.

If I start making plans now and aim to make the trip late spring next year I have a bit of time on my side so as not to rush. My first purchase will be an engine stand and sort a decent work bench out for the garage. As I have never rebuilt an engine I have no idea what new parts I will need.

I would like to keep the engine fairly standard and just aim for reliability. Std injection and cam, maybe increase the compression a tad and use the 1600 fly wheel but nothing to high spec. If I can claw back the 130bhp the 1900 was quoted I will be happy enough anything else would be a bonus. I do have 4 cylinder heads sitting in my garage and access to air lines and die grinders at work….I know the 8v head responds well to a bit of porting, would like to give that a go too. The bottom half of the engine is the only bit of the car I have not worked on, I am not a complete be begginer with the spanners!

If anyone could give me some advice such as a list of rebuild bits, things I can improve, decent books etc I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Ben

skinner2k3

I have had a ring around to try and figure out what this will cost me and have a couple of estimates.

For a regrind and shells roughly £160 -£170 + Vat

Skim £27.50 + vat

Rings £60 + vat

Payen Rebuild kit £50 + vat

Head bolts £13 + vat

So thats already £350 ish, plus all the work, to be left with a fairly std 1.9 engine. Hmm having doubts now!

daza4

Well you will be pleased to know I am on the rebuild process of my engine currently and are most welcome to pop over and have a look.

This is also the first time I have done a "FULL" strip down and pleased I did as I needed new big ends!! and I was thinking of leaving as it was!!.

While you are looking I could drop that bumper in the back of your car so you have it ready to fit......................

Pm me or send me a message you have my number. :)

Sign in to follow this