• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McPikie

How To Tell Between 1.6 & 1.9

McPikie

OK, I bought a 1600 GTi. It's got the drums on the rear, 1.9 wheels on make it look like it's got 309 wishbones on etc etc.

However, I am not convinced it is a 1600. It pulls like a train through every gear, the engine is pristine and looks like it's been re-conned. Then, to top it off, I stuck to the back on a Phs 1 2.0l 16 Clio 172 yesterday up to 90mph.

So, how do I confirm what lump is in it??

simonb

spacer plate fitted between block and sump = 1.9

yellow injectors = 1.9

oil cooler = 1.9

Hope this helps

McPikie
spacer plate fitted between block and sump = 1.9

yellow injectors = 1.9

oil cooler = 1.9

Hope this helps

There is deffo no oil cooler, but will check the rest

Chris H

Quite simple, if there is a10mm thick alloy spacer between the bottom on the engine block and the sump then it should be a 1900, if there is no spacer it should be a 1600

ALEX

The injectors are the best way of telling.

If they arn't yellow it's a 1.6.

I had a 1.9 engine out of a 405 that didn't have that spacer plate.

You can get different depth of sumps.

It's more of a stiffener plate than a spacer.

steve@cornwall

How does it pull' is it a clean spread of power - ending at just over 6K, - 1.9

or a noticeable kick at 4K and revs to 7K or just over? 1.6

IMO a good 1.6 trounces an average 1.9!

jackherer

Neither will "stick to the back of" a Clio 172 though, if you have an XU 8v and you kept up with a Clio 172 either your engine has had a lot done to it or the Clio driver wasn't trying/can't drive.

GLPoomobile

Every time anyone asks this question about 1.6/1.9, everybody talks about the sump spacer and injector colours etc.

This is all well and good, and can give a quick indication, but it's not gauranteed to give a 100% perfect answer. With the amount of parts that can be chopped and changed by previous owners, replacement engines etc, then this won't give a complete answer. You can run a 1.9 on the wrong injectors (badly) or you could even run it on the wrong injectors complete with matching AFM and ECU etc (i.e. if an owner swapped bottom end and kept everything else OE). Likewise people have mentioned 1.9 engines without sump spacers. So then surely the only way of being confident of the block size is to measure the stroke. I think it was Steve@Cornwall who mentioned this a while ago, about putting a wooden dowel down the spark plug hole and then turning the engine by hand to measure the stroke.

I'm I talking a load of giblets as usual or does that make sense?

Rob_the_Sparky

No you are perfectly right, and if someone fits a 1.9 out of a 405 then you may not have a spacer plate (like mine when I first got it, 405 block 205 head). Even the number on the block is no guarantee as like mine you could get a combo of head and block and AFAIK there is no number on the head to trace its origins.

McPikie
How does it pull' is it a clean spread of power - ending at just over 6K, - 1.9

or a noticeable kick at 4K and revs to 7K or just over? 1.6

Steve, I wouldn't say it has a noticable "kick", but it does seem to open up alot more at 3.5k. Also, limiter is at circa 6250-6500. It never gets to 7k.

I am thinking poossibly 1900 on 1600 box??

Neither will "stick to the back of" a Clio 172 though, if you have an XU 8v and you kept up with a Clio 172 either your engine has had a lot done to it or the Clio driver wasn't trying/can't drive.

He can drive Jack, but as we wasnt on a stretch of private road, who knows. Maybe we need to get some sort of "bridge test" to benchmark against.

I need to have a good look over the car tonight. I mean, if it was a 1600 and has had a 1900 bottom end/head, but all the 1600 ancilleries andECU, would it still run??

steve@cornwall
Steve, I wouldn't say it has a noticable "kick", but it does seem to open up alot more at 3.5k. Also, limiter is at circa 6250-6500. It never gets to 7k.

I am thinking poossibly 1900 on 1600 box??

He can drive Jack, but as we wasnt on a stretch of private road, who knows. Maybe we need to get some sort of "bridge test" to benchmark against.

I need to have a good look over the car tonight. I mean, if it was a 1600 and has had a 1900 bottom end/head, but all the 1600 ancilleries andECU, would it still run??

!900 on 1600 'box should hit the limiter in 5th on a flat road (mine does :rolleyes: ) 1st is almost useless and changing again at 55 or limiter cuts in is bloody annoying - look around car to be overtaken boot it and hit limiter :)

1.9 with 1.6 inj. parts will run ok but probably stink of petrol most of the time. I've just tried a 1.6 ecu with some twin spraying injectors that were fitted to an engine I bought and it was terrible! low rev kangarooing was awful. seems smoother with the injectors, though with the right ecu

Edited by steve@cornwall

simonb

Sod it - just rip the thing apart then as it appears that there are too many possibilities. I would just look for the obvious things without getting too bogged down. Also - does it drive OK? If so, enjoy it.

Sign in to follow this