• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjd0

Starting Problems......

Guest mjd0

What a great site :) - and have already gained loadsa 205 gti info - but.....Im not to mechanical

pug 205 gti H reg was going along fine - loss of power and acceleration ,jerky (didnt notice what rev counter or if any dash lights were on ) so had to stop at (lucky!) layby

car wont start - checking engine - bit of oily fluid inside throttle body and intake manifold

back home still cant start car - car is turning over at starter - all belts/chains intact - fuel to the fuel rail ( checked by removing hose to the fuel rail and letting it empty into a bucket while trying to start car) spark at HT leads going to spark plugs ( tested with nail in the HT lead to metal on engine)

checked and fixed any obvious dubious electrical connections ( brown multiplug )

only mods are shortened induction as per pugtorques guide on website

Have just ordered an ignition module and ECU in trying to test and eliminate parts - (With the ECU can i just plug this in swap for swap? - no remapping or matching to AFM? )

Any ideas what else to check? :)

Will possibly be looking at engine upgrade later but if theres serious engine probs will just do a like for like swap with another 1.9gti engine - anyone know where i can obtain a good running engine? and fit it or assist me fit it?!

cheers

mickie

you still have a timing belt in one peace right? oops didnt read it properly, if you have fuel and a spark and all belts are fine, it should work unless theres a major internal problem

Edited by mickie

Guest mjd0
you still have a timing belt in one peace right? oops didnt read it properly, if you have fuel and a spark and all belts are fine, it should work unless theres a major internal problem

Yeh! I think I checked that - but only by feeling tension in it not a complete visual check

large

New ecu sould be fine. If you are realy stuck i am not that far away and could sort something out if you wanted a running car to swap parts with i had a the same fault and it was the AFM.

steve@cornwall

Just because there is fuel to the rail, doesn't mean the injectors are actually firing it into the cylinder.or with the pugs, that there's not far too much fuel! If it were overfuelling I would expect it would have started when cranking with the fuel line disconnected, unless the plugs have glazed due to too much fuel. My ine of attack would be o change the plugs (can't ever hurt eh?) then unbolt the fuel rail, complete with injectors and position so as, should they fire the fuel goes into the injector holes in the head (10 - 20mm gap between injector / hole) This will show if the injectors are firing - suspect ignition amp if not? and if it''s been massively overfuelled, the extra air will allow it to start! If it starts like this check the connections to the afm and blue ecu temp. sender under the dizzy. In would think you're a long way off considering an engine swap yet - you'd probably just be swapping the engine into a car with the problem still present anyway.

Guest mjd0
Just because there is fuel to the rail, doesn't mean the injectors are actually firing it into the cylinder.or with the pugs, that there's not far too much fuel! If it were overfuelling I would expect it would have started when cranking with the fuel line disconnected, unless the plugs have glazed due to too much fuel. My ine of attack would be o change the plugs (can't ever hurt eh?) then unbolt the fuel rail, complete with injectors and position so as, should they fire the fuel goes into the injector holes in the head (10 - 20mm gap between injector / hole) This will show if the injectors are firing - suspect ignition amp if not? and if it''s been massively overfuelled, the extra air will allow it to start! If it starts like this check the connections to the afm and blue ecu temp. sender under the dizzy. In would think you're a long way off considering an engine swap yet - you'd probably just be swapping the engine into a car with the problem still present anyway.

cheers for the advice - will try that - and report back :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this