• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

It's Going Off The Road For A While

ALEX

I've had my bog standard (apart from Pumas head work) 1.9 a while now and it's time for a change.

But from what I've heard there's no real replacement to the feel of the 205, so Instead of selling up it's going in the garage.

I'm going to use the spare Mk3 Astra Gsi I have, sounds like I'm loaded doesn't it, well I'm not the Astra's a shed actually.

I was looking into slowly modifying the 205 if I ever come into some money whilst it's off the road. (it might happen)

I was planning to replace the ECU with a emerald or something similar mainly to replace the distributors crappy tired old linear mechanical advance that has been the cause of the pinking since the day I got the car.

Also I was thinking of Cam and pulley, But according to Puma these only make a difference if you rid the AFM.

I don't fancy Carbs especially if I'm fitting a replacement ECU and Jenvey's look expensive.

What are my options? Has anyone machined their own throttle boddies.

I'm good with Solidworks and could possibly get them made, but are they more complicated than they look?

If it came to fitting Jenveys what replaces the AFM signal?

and what's involved into fitting them? i.e. crank sensor ect..

Do they even do Jenvey throttle bodies for the 8 valve? Anyone on here fitted some?

I'd go down the Mi16 route, but I've already put a lot of money in the 8valve engine with new piston, liners, headwork, so the 8 valve is here to stay.

CaptainK

I'm planning on replacing the AFM on mine with a piggyback ECU that deals with MAPs (obviously install a MAP sensor too). My guy that does this is looking into it on the 1.9 GTi and hopefully soon I shall be AFM-less. Apparently it returns good yields - on Mitsubishi engines he normally deals with they have seen a good jump in BHP and torque (Rolling Road diagnostics and set up needed). Mainly torque though. 8)

ALEX

How do you fit a map sensor with throtle boddies though?

Grim.Badger

I'm not sure if ITBs would be worthwile given the limited power increase (<10bhp iirc).

The route I would go down would be an upgrade to MP3.1 management like Pugtorque has or get aftermarket managment, high compression pistons (1.6 or 1.9cti), cam, lightened flywheel and the BV head that you already have but retain the standard induction (which will keep the noise and price down).

Is the Astra sorted now? I thought it needed work?

ALEX
I'm not sure if ITBs would be worthwile given the limited power increase (<10bhp iirc).

The route I would go down would be an upgrade to MP3.1 management like Pugtorque has or get aftermarket managment, high compression pistons (1.6 or 1.9cti), cam, lightened flywheel and the BV head that you already have but retain the standard induction (which will keep the noise and price down).

Is the Astra sorted now? I thought it needed work?

Hi Hugh

Yeah The Astra sorted now Tax and tested, I'm off out in it today for the first time actually :) (besides driving it 200 metres to the MOT station)

I'll let you know the comparisson of the between it and the 205.

I think I need to look into this tuning idea a little more before I start to buy anything. Might be a while before it gets off the ground anyway.

Sign in to follow this