• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mark.r

Xantia 2.0 16v Into 309

mark.r

Hi to you all

I am a new member but I have been researching my project on here for some time. I am fitting the 135 bhp 16v engine from a Citroen Xantia into my 1990 309 1.3. My problem concerns the drivers side top engine mounting. I thought that if you use the mounting bracket from the donor car, every thing would line up, but on my car the engine ends up too high and too far to the rear on the drivers side. So, can any one suggest which mounting I should use? I know that using this engine isn't considered to be a great conversion, but this is only a base engine for a rally car project. Future modifications will be made when the basics are made to work. Cheers for any help you can give.

huzzer

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

If I can remember rightly, and i'll be corrected if i'm wrong, the top engine mount on a non xu shell is in a different place. I think the existing mount needs to be removed and re-welded in a different position.

I'm sure there is someone who can clarify this! Have you also replaced the subframe for an xu unit too?

Hilgie

Not on a 309...they all have the XU mount as far as I know.

I think mark has used the upper enginemount from the Xantia? In which case it is correct that it does not fit. Try using the upper part (only that) from a 306 S16 or XSi. (2.0-8V).

mark.r
Not on a 309...they all have the XU mount as far as I know.

I think mark has used the upper enginemount from the Xantia? In which case it is correct that it does not fit. Try using the upper part (only that) from a 306 S16 or XSi. (2.0-8V).

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the shell has the XU mounting attachment. I will now get an upper part mount from an S16 or an XSi. Just to confirm, will this bolt on the same?, ie 2 nuts and then 2 allen headed bolts at about 60 degrees angle apart. Many thanks for your help.

danpug

Yes it will do. Iirc correctly anthony has a few of the engine mounts you need for sale.

Alastairh

I have the whole engine mount setup you need, and all the brackets so you can run the engine with no PAS or AIR con, including correct alternator and belt etc.

£70 posted :wub:

Removed from my GTI6 i converted but threw a belt :lol:

Al

Sandy

If it's a 1990 1.3, the inner wing engine mount will be wrong. The TU 309s had XU mounts, but the TU is only from late 1991, before that it was E1 and G1 which have a different mount.

Hilgie

I stand corrected there. 309 body only has the XU enginmount if it has a XU or TU engine. Not with the XY engine...but then again the whole mount will be missing :S

Sandy

It's not the XY engine, that wasn't fitted to the 309, not in the UK anyway. It was the E1 (1.1) and G1 (1.3) pushrod OHV engines, descended from the Chrysler Alpine/Horizon and the Simcas before that. Using early BE1 boxes with a bespojke casing strangely!

Hilgie

You are so right...I should stick with 205s :wub:

Was that G1/E1 stuff because of the fact that the 309 was in fact a Talbot Arizona?

Sandy

Let me be right in here, in the other room i'm sure to be wrong :lol:

I reckon the E1/G1 was a cost cutting exercise, it's a very simple engine, but pretty good in terms of flexibility and economy; very noisy valvetrain though! I think I saw a Portuguese 205 somewhere with a G1 engine fitted, might have been used over there too.

Hilgie

I checked ..it was used in the Simca 1100 and 1300 as well and it has chaindrive instead of a belt. Probably that's why it so noisy...but hey...let's get back on topic :lol:

mark.r
I checked ..it was used in the Simca 1100 and 1300 as well and it has chaindrive instead of a belt. Probably that's why it so noisy...but hey...let's get back on topic :lol:

My 309 has definitely got the XU mount. If any of you are familiar with the install MI 16 guide on MD Racings website, my 309 is the same mounting wise as the green donor car and the same as a 205GTI that I looked at in a scrap yard yesterday. At present the car has the TU type subframe in it and I plan to fit a GTI subframe and wishbones. Obviously I need 309 wishbones but Im guessing the subframe is the same as 205 GTI. Ooops sorry I should be asking in the suspension and steering section.

danpug

Subframe is the same as a 205 one.

mark.r
Subframe is the same as a 205 one.

Thanks to you all. Hopefully I will make some progress now.

Sign in to follow this