• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rik

Trumpet Mouth / Filter Clearance

Rik

Is there any constraints for fitting the air filter to throttle body trumpets?

I.e. Is there a suggested gap to leave? or no gap? etc etc...?

I'm sure it would make a difference if the filter was touching the actual trumpets or if it was 30mm away?

I'm running 90mm jenvey trumpets modified to fit to GSXR 750 48mm throttle bodies.

Rik

Richie-Van-GTi

I was told have 10mm between the filter and trumpet end and then 15mm in front of the filter minimum. Unless you use socks.

engine killer
Is there any constraints for fitting the air filter to throttle body trumpets?

I.e. Is there a suggested gap to leave? or no gap? etc etc...?

I'm sure it would make a difference if the filter was touching the actual trumpets or if it was 30mm away?

I'm running 90mm jenvey trumpets modified to fit to GSXR 750 48mm throttle bodies.

Rik

if you are using socks, minimum of 20mm-30mm is needed otherwise it will suck the circle bit of the filter into the tb. using an air box will be much safer. due to room constrain (no airbox), i have replaced a few set of sock already in the last two years.

Sam

Those socks are dog turd. So many stories of them being sucked into the trumpet.

I'd recommend the PX500 style filter any day with decent clearance. Here's an example :)

HC06.jpg

Rik
I was told have 10mm between the filter and trumpet end and then 15mm in front of the filter minimum. Unless you use socks.

Richie-Van-GTi - not really sure what your saying here!

What do you mean in front of the filter? do you mean make sure there is space in front of the element? I.e so the rad aint in the way etc?!?

Not thought about airbox, would be nice to have one like Martins (Crf450) and have a panel filter, but i dont want to start messing about with a carbon/plastic airbox!

Rik

Sandy

If you want an airbox badly, keep the volume and entry as large as practically possible, or your lovely TB's will not be able to give their full potential.

benlilly

Hi Rik,

Just found this on Pipercross's website

"NOTE - Always fit the largest filter possible and ensure that there is a minimum of 19mm between the trumpet mouth and the inner face of the filter."

engine killer
Those socks are dog turd. So many stories of them being sucked into the trumpet.

I'd recommend the PX500 style filter any day with decent clearance. Here's an example ^_^

HC06.jpg

I can hardly fit one of this because lack of room :lol:

This was what I have done to ensure enough cold fresh air for the engine.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2637827940084130750PFUZQs

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2071615600084130750ImkMZx

And this is the second generation of the induction panel with the bonnet lock removed.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2740068070084130750qHsEvj

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2097161520084130750cwCiIG

I guess the air pressure in front of the filter with this setup (when the car is on the move, the air banging into the filter) should be higher than inside an airbox.

Rik

anyone know of a filter with the internal depth of about 125mm?

was gonna get an ITG but they only do upto 100mm internals, (I could possibly but a spacer between the back plate and the throttle body to push the filter out?)

I'll be running 90mm Trumpets.

Rik

Sandy

Get the back plate welded onto the back of the trumpet bellmouths, works brilliantly and very space efficient. Socks are poo, they kill power and noise, I've taken mine off, it's a silly risk I know, but they really do take the edge off the performance and I haven't had a chance to sort my backplate out yet.

Rik

thats exactly what i'll be doing sandy, got 90mm jenvey trumpets, and i'm designing a flange that i can weld to the throttle body so the trumpets bolt straight on!

Any one know of a 110mm internal filter i can fit?

Rik

Rik

I was told by jenvey this can sap the power? cant see the difference myself.

What filter are you going to run with that then?

Sandy

Don't believe everything Jenvey say, not all of their advice is definitive. Not in my experience anyway...

Rik

I didnt believe it myself, surely it makes no difference what so ever?

The only reasonable explanation is the air filter protects the trumpets keeping them cooler, meaning the inlet air temp would be lower...

And how about the filter?

Sandy

Over hypothesising I reckon. The temp of the incoming air dictates the trumpet temp more than radiated heat I would say.

Then use a shallower filter, around 30-40mm clearance.

Sign in to follow this