• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ricky1.9

Fitting Pas Rack Without The Power Part

ricky1.9

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to chuck my crappy/quick rack and go for a PAS rack without having the power assist parts.

Are there anything that I have to be aware of ie. will it go straight on?

Or will it cause any other problem?

Cheers

ricky

Jrod

Need a PAS lower column.

pug_ham

Depending on your MOT tester it might fail next time round if they notice.

Graham.

ORB

I spoke to the MOT tester at work about this. He says that if I take the power away from my rack, and it is not 'too light' and not 'too heavy' and it is not deemed 'dangerous' he would not fail it.

I cant see a problem as long as you put the nipples back in off the pipes, you will be fine. (I am welding up the end of the nipples so there is no hole in them to let s*ite into the system before I put them back in)

jackherer
I spoke to the MOT tester at work about this. He says that if I take the power away from my rack, and it is not 'too light' and not 'too heavy' and it is not deemed 'dangerous' he would not fail it.

I had one 205 fail and he wouldnt pass it until I fitted full working pas hydraulics or a non-pas rack. That car had pas from the factory and the three or four 205s that the same tester has passed for me were all non-pas from the factory. I didnt ask him why he only failed one as I didnt want him to change his mind about the others.

Someone else (Inferrno) had their 205 fail as the tester thought it was too heavy subjectively. That car only had 1.6 wheels, so wouldn't have been as heavy as a 1.9 even!

pug309twin40s

my goodwood has power steering rack but without the power bits. been like this few a few years and passes MOT's easily like it.

madspikes
Someone else (Inferrno) had their 205 fail as the tester thought it was too heavy subjectively. That car only had 1.6 wheels, so wouldn't have been as heavy as a 1.9 even!

How many car do they see now with out PAS, any non PAS car is going to have heavy steering! I've just taken binned the PAS on my car and it needs an MOT soon... So watching with interest.

Mad. :huh:

James_m

You will need to drop the subframe a bit to get it in iirc.

Mine went through like this no problems, i actually asked the tester before hand, and he said it was fine as long as the steering wasnt overly heavy.

ricky1.9
Need a PAS lower column.

Hello mate am in the process of getting one from scrapy's but have seem you have posted about the PAS lower colum. Is this the bit which includes the lower knuckle?

Why do I need this is it shorter??

ricky1.9

Does any one have any have decent pics of a PAS rack fitted so I can get an idea what bits I need to undo to get one out of a car at the scrappers??

Thanks

C_W

You can buy this column shaft from Euro Car Parts.

You can fit the rack without dropping the subframe if you just unbolt the pinion part from the rack, slide the rack in then bolt the pinion back on (slacken off the 2 10mm nuts on the back of the rack that tension it).

ricky1.9
You can buy this column shaft from Euro Car Parts.

You can fit the rack without dropping the subframe if you just unbolt the pinion part from the rack, slide the rack in then bolt the pinion back on (slacken off the 2 10mm nuts on the back of the rack that tension it).

trying to get one off in the scrappy so will have all the hoses and ram etc to take off as well. This is where I thought a bit of advice would help as I'll have about 20mins at the most before they kick me out.

pug_ham

I think you'll struggle to remove a PAS rack in 20 minutes without dropping the subframe. :ph34r:

To get the rack out (PAS or non-PAS) you need to disconnect the track rod ends, lower column & there are two bolts through the subframe that hold it in place. The hoses will probably slow you the most but I'd leave the ram etc on until it is off the car.

Not hard but due to the added height on the PAS rack it won't slide out a easy as a non-PAS rack does.

If you unbolt the rack from the subframe first & then drop the subframe (might be difficult in a scrapyard) then it should be a lot easier to get it out but remember not to support any of the car weight on the subframe or it won't drop free. You can leave the balljoints etc in & let the subframe hang on them.

Graham.

ricky1.9
I think you'll struggle to remove a PAS rack in 20 minutes without dropping the subframe. B)

Ha, yeah did struggle. Failed to do it. Was peeing down with rain as well so that was nice.

I cut the hoses, undone the track rods and the rack. Started to undo the lower colum but ran out of time. (this is a different size bolt from the non PAS rack, so was a bit unpreperred)

The cars on top of another so can't drop the subframe, will the rack not slide out without doing this???

BuD
Hello mate am in the process of getting one from scrapy's but have seem you have posted about the PAS lower colum. Is this the bit which includes the lower knuckle?

Why do I need this is it shorter??

Yes its shorter and a different fitment on the end of the pas rack (as there is a plastic bit) if my memory is correct.

It needs to be shorter because as pugtorque says the bit on the pas rack that it joins protrudes further.

The parts cd talks about 2 different shafts being possible for both pas and non pas cars, which is reqired depends on the steering column in the car. One has a uj that is 43mm centre to middle, the other is 55mm. So you need a shaft from a car that matches yours, or more stuff from the donor. Having said that I sourced one at random and it was compatible and I have never heard this mentioned as a problem so it could be that one of the 2 fitments isnt common\used on gtis but probably best to check as a shaft 12mm too short could be nasty!

EDIT: you replied while I was posting B) You will really struggle trying to get it out without dropping the subframe with the ram on. I refitted one a week ago with the car on stands, wheels off, engine removed and it wouldnt slide in through the arch it looked like it would be really tight even without the ram. With the engine out it is possible to do it by removing track rods but i dont think even this would work engine in. To stand any chance you must remove the ram which is easy even with the subframe on as C_W says.

Edited by BuD

ricky1.9
EDIT: you replied while I was posting :D You will really struggle trying to get it out without dropping the subframe with the ram on. I refitted one a week ago with the car on stands, wheels off, engine removed and it wouldnt slide in through the arch it looked like it would be really tight even without the ram. With the engine out it is possible to do it by removing track rods but i dont think even this would work engine in. To stand any chance you must remove the ram which is easy even with the subframe on as C_W says.

You were right. I couldn't do it. the pinion and casing would just simply not fit through. DOH!!

C_W

I was meaning remove the pinion parts (held on by the two allen keys), the ram bit is what looks like a shock absorber which delivers the power assistance?

pug_ham
I was meaning remove the pinion parts (held on by the two allen keys), the ram bit is what looks like a shock absorber which delivers the power assistance?

This is how I got the rack out on my old diesel 205 but its much easier (usually) to drop the subframe. Mine was a pita to refit onto the rack off the car, I dread to think what it would've been like with the main part of the rack fitted. (albeit minus the ram etc)

Graham.

ricky1.9

I finally got it out today. Wow! Managed to get the bloke at scrappy to move the acr with forklift so i could get to the subframe bolts. And that made it a piece of piss.

Now i've got it off - Are the Track rods the same as the non PAS ones?? And also is the mount on the rack for the ram a permenent fixture to the rack as this is what it looks like in the pics I've got?

PAS Steering rack picture

BuD

Yes track rods are the same, that stud doesnt come off the rack tho. (cant see the pic but presume this is what you mean)

C_W
This is how I got the rack out on my old diesel 205 but its much easier (usually) to drop the subframe. Mine was a pita to refit onto the rack off the car, I dread to think what it would've been like with the main part of the rack fitted. (albeit minus the ram etc)

Graham.

It goes in dead easy as long as you slacken off the two 10mm bolts on the back of the rack, otherwise it's too tight for the pinion to mesh with the rack and it won't slide in.

Sign in to follow this