• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Xu10j4 Lump On Xu10j2 Management?

Richie-Van-GTi

no its not the one in my car :) , possibly putting an xu10j4r into a 405 currently housing an xu10j2 with auto box. Just wondering if the j2 management will run it ok? Common sense tells me it will run fine, maybe lose a few ponies but nothing to worry about as the lambda should keep the fueling in check.

Also as a side note, can anyone confirm if the auto's use the same subframe / shafts etc as a manual?

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

James_m

A freind and i considered this at one point, but using a turbo 8v, on 10J4 management(very temporary solution) i think we came to the conclusion, the ignition timing between 8v and 16v are quite different, so it would'nt work.

I think 8v's run a lot more advance?

But your going the other way, so maybe its less dangerous for engine health?

I could be wrong on this, but that was the conclusion we came to.

jim21070

I see no huge problem Ritchie, as long as you use the the J2 sensors, ICV and coilpack. J2s could use either Bosch or Magnetti-Marelli management and I'm not sure if the ancillaries as mentioned above are compatible between different ECUs. I'd be tempted to use the J2 injectors as well if you can.

It is a crying shame these just pre-OBDII ECUs are so hard to read so that you could confirm the lambda is trimming the fuelling properly. Mind you, there'll be enough other clues..

I have some diagrams if you need them...

welshpug

I reckon it'd work quite well, if as you say the Lambda and ECU can keep the fuellign in check.

does the system use a knock sensor? if it does then theres no worries with the ignition advance if the ECU does its thing in self learning mode.

but then why bother with the J2 management? it'd be easy enough to use 10J4R management...

Edited by welshpug

Richie-Van-GTi

problem with the j4 management is that we dont have it (well I have an ecu but its locked) and we don't have the j4 wiring loom, although possibly the ecu connector and pin outs are the same. Both engines have a knock sensor fitted as far as I know. I was going to stick with the j4 injectors on the basis the slight size increase will be in proportion to the extra air flow. Regarding sensors they use all the same sensors for things such as crank sensor, engine temps etc etc.

Feel a bit more confident doing it now a few more people reckon it will be fine.

Anyone know about the subframes etc?

welshpug

what do you want to know about the subframes?

it will bolt straight in IMHO :D

Richie-Van-GTi

I know the engine will drop straight in, but its also converting from an autobox to a manual, not sure if the subframe will have the right bits for gear linkages.

welshpug

aah right, will get back to you on that..

Henry Yorke

I run XU10J2TE management on and XU9J1/AZ with a turbo. It fuels ok, if a little rich top end. As has been said, coil pack means no dizzy timing, I used injectors , knock sensor, lambda and build in MAP sensor to keep it all in check.

There is a post I put up that whilst all Motronic 3.2's are the same, they have different maps for different engine characteristics, so whilst my ECU would run an S16 (XU10J4), I doubt it would fuel right, especially from NA to turbo. Going from 8 to 16v, the power delivery curve is different with the 8v having more Torque and less revs. The 16v may not be getting the right fuel when the ACAV valves kick in as surely these must feed to the ECU and say "Hey boys, we're going for it here so chuck us some more fuel!". This is the theory behind a remap for a new cam in a car.

I could be talking bollocks though!

I think it will work, but you may end up running a bit rich or lean so won't get stock power figures (though my concoction actually went up from the XU10J2TE with 164bhp & 200lb/ft).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this