• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Fuel Surge

Nathan

The fuel surge my car suffers from is really annoying, has anyone found a way to cure it (and cornering slower isn't an option!). Anything less than than 1/2 a tank and its really bad, it'll even do it when I've got nearly 3/4 in.

1st option is maybe another pick up in the tank, the 2nd option I was thinking of (which may be slightly easier to fit) would be some kind of small secondary fuel swirl pot/tank has any one made one of these of fitted an off the shelf job?

Cheers

James_R

1L swirl pot and low pressure pump to it then high pressure fed off it.

Look in the demontheifs catalogue should have everything there.

16v205

You dont need a specific low pressure pump, use the normal 205 gti intank pump to fill the swirl pot. The 205 fuel pump flows 2.16ltr/min and will only build up pressure if the swirl pot overflow outlet pipe is too small in diameter.

Small 750cc/1ltr alloy fuel tanks can be had for less than £50 delivered, use a 405 mi16 external fuel pump and thats the big cost saved. A few quid on a relay, fuse holder, 30amp wire, fuel hoses and proper fuel clips and you can fit a complete surge tank kit for less than £80 all in! Mines been running for a few years now and cost a similar amount.

Rich

philfingers

Mine used to surge below 1/2 tank. I took it out, cleaned the s*ite out of the bottom of it and it was fine after that. Must have been the muck or maybe a crushed pipe or something. Worth a try for nothing!

Bally

usually the little plastic pot in the bottom of the tank has broken away and moved cause its only plastic welded there. Had that sanme problem, changed the tank and I can go right down to gas light on and corner any where with no surge

ORB

You could try running with a full tank :)

Stonesie

pffft more weight??

i would go with the swirl pot and 2nd fuel pump myself....

Stonesie

woah no edit option.......

anyway i forgot to say i had the same issue on a nova (dont hurt me please) that i bought as a 1.4L after fitting the 1.6 GT/E engine on K-jetronic using a 2.0 astra (ashtray) pump outside the carb tank, back then i was young and stupid and didnt eaven know what a swirl pot was.....

Rob Thomson

I'm sure I read somewhere that the later tanks are better baffled than the older ones.

For what it's worth, I have no problems with my 1992 1.6, whereas my 1989 309 (which I assume has a similar tank) was a complete bastard for surge below half-a-tank.

petert

I chop the tank in half and get it plastic welded back up. Less surge, less fuel, less Kg, less money. Do a search and you'll find a picture I posted some time ago.

Normski
I'm sure I read somewhere that the later tanks are better baffled than the older ones.

For what it's worth, I have no problems with my 1992 1.6, whereas my 1989 309 (which I assume has a similar tank) was a complete bastard for surge below half-a-tank.

My track 205 (1992, 1.9) has no problems with surge even with slicks and the fuel light on. So there's maybe something in that ^^.

Bally
usually the little plastic pot in the bottom of the tank has broken away and moved cause its only plastic welded there. Had that sanme problem, changed the tank and I can go right down to gas light on and corner any where with no surge

Did you all ralise what i said here. It is worth a check at least in the tank. Take out the pump and see if the little cup has moved

Sign in to follow this