• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

Xu10 Sump On Mi16

James_m

It does seem some are more badly affected than others.

I remember Jonmurgie used to say he got no, or little surge in his track car. Though it did go bang eventually iirc....

I've got my adj. pressure switch set to 25psi. It only comes on at idle (hot). Sure, the needle moves about a bit, but there's plenty of oil pressure to do the job.

Ive been wondering about this, how far does it need to drop off to get into serious danger? The thing that is scary, is the engine is usually at such high rpm when it happens.

skeggyrik

Peter

Do you still do the oil pickup extender work? I've been PMing you to no reply?

Pick up is packed an ready to send. :lol:

Rich

James_m

Thought i might add.... first of all i tried driving on 5 litres of oil, as i had done an oil change the morning before, so didnt really have time/could'nt be bothered to add the further 1.5 litres.

It was terrible!!! The day begins being lead around the circuit by some nissan 4x4, and im serious when i say i was having to back off round corners during this!

The extra 1.5 litres helped things a lot.

Im wondering if i could have got away running more than this, ive got an 8v oil cooler, so i have a little more capacity than the norm, but running fresh oil makes it very difficult to see anything on the dipstick.

I suspect the usual 1.9 spacer plate, but with the XU10 windage tray welded in Petert does might be quite beneficial here.

I would certainly feel a bit more confident filling it higher still with oil.

Think i might invest and report back....

RonnieG

Yup - Agree with you there James.....

With the abuse my car gets while it's on track & really in an effort to keep the oil more 'in grade' I do change the oil regularly which means looking at the diptick at funny angles under a bright light to see which parts oily vs dry..... I always go more by the dipstick than volume added & do at least a couple of warm & cold cycles to fully let the oil settle at it's final level before ensuring my 5-6mm above the max line before we're good to go....

Wonder if some engines are slower draining back to the sump for some reason or other....

rnotman67

I, like so many have encountered the consequencies of 'that' dreaded surge. I bought my 205 with the rattle in the engine, as a project to do over the winter, I am planning on rebuilding the bottom end as much as funds will allow anyway.

I have read about uprating the drive sprocket for the oil pump from the 22 tooth sprocket to a 25 or 26 tooth sprocket which I have checked with peugeot and it only costs about £5. Has anyone done this before and was there any advantage to replacing it.

brianthemagical

does everyone use purflux? just a though.

how did the 405 touring cars cope?

I have read about uprating the drive sprocket for the oil pump from the 22 tooth sprocket to a 25 or 26 tooth sprocket which I have checked with peugeot and it only costs about £5. Has anyone done this before and was there any advantage to replacing it.

you will need a chain as well. the needle does shoot up a lot quicker, but thats it.

Edited by brianthemagical

RonnieG

I must admit I always use Purflux oil filters, especially as you can specify them & £3 odd at GSF.

Can see the anti-drain back valve in the filter possibly making a difference in getting the oil round slightly quicker when starting up but can't really see it making that sort of difference once the engine's been running for a while.

Not quite sure why this would be the case either but maybe there's something in the level of engine wear that increases the likelihood of this surge issue.

Can't help feeling these 1905cc 16V engines alone were built for at least 5 years & at the cost premium at the time some of them must have been driven well hard - If this had been happening with the new engines & Peugeot were getting even a few warranty claims then can't see it taking them long to put some baffling in themselves - Wouldn't have cost much in the volumes they would be buying.

I'd have to agree at feeling slighly uneasy & there is some level of risk in not using one on a track though......

C_W

Been using mine on track since 1999, I still get surge but an evolution on baffling (start with a straight baffle across, then added oil pump baffle and top sections) has reduced it a lot.

pdd144c
how did the 405 touring cars cope?

Dry sump and a differently routed oil system. Same as my T16 has.

James_m
I, like so many have encountered the consequencies of 'that' dreaded surge. I bought my 205 with the rattle in the engine, as a project to do over the winter, I am planning on rebuilding the bottom end as much as funds will allow anyway.

I have the full oil pump setup off an S16, so probably the setup you are talking about. Makes no difference as you would expect. The problem is there is no oil at the pick up, so how quick the pump is spinning is irrelevant!

Another one always using perflex btw.

Sign in to follow this