• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

My Results From Emerald

Bonzai

like most i suspect, my 205 has been an ongoing project for month after month which turned into year after year. I bought some Jenvey 45's off Dino about 18 months ago and last week we (many thanks to James R and everyone else who played a part :unsure: ) got them installed and working with an Emerald M3dK i'd bought probably just as long ago too. Anthony made a loom for it all and Dave Walker mapped the car on wednesday.

The engine spec is fairly basic, roughly standard Mi16 with raised compression after a head skim, running #4 inlet pulley.

I had a power run back last year on the standard injection/induction setup at Westec in newport and the results caused a bit of controversy when maximum power was revealed at 7515rpm, when the limiter should be set to 7200rpm maximum on standard ecu. This meant the 177.88bhp max power was more like 169 based on Anthonys calculations. I think this was down to the rolling road operater basing the engine rpm off the wheel speed somehow, regardless it meant the figures were inaccurate.

At emerald a similar situation arose in that, whilst Dave was confident the mapping would be perfect, having one or both front wheels imbalanced played havok with the load cell and caused spikes on the power graphs at high rpm's, thus the readings are accurate to a point but then distorted and can only be best guessed. The maximum power readout was in one of these spikes and once again the figures are inaccurate.

Dissapointed though i may be, i've plotted the two graphs regardless so you can see the difference the throttle bodies have made.

powergraphswm9.th.jpg

The figures from the before readouts were plotted at every 500rpm on my printout, the figures from the after readout i have had to best guess using my trusty 6 inch rule on the graph itself.

in order, rpm, power before, power after, torque before, torque after.

1500 22 ** 76 **

2000 32 ** 84 **

2500 45 ** 93.5 **

3000 62 59 109 112.5

3500 75 75 112.5 113

4000 84 92 111 118

4500 100 107 118 125

5000 115 123 121 128

5500 131 145 125 137

6000 143 164 125 143

6500 159 170 128 138

7000 171 177 128 132.5

7500 177 175 124 122

peak figures before were 177.88bhp @ 7515rpm & ~129lb ft @ ~6800rpm

peak figures after were 180.4bhp @ 7145rpm & 144.8lb ft @ 5848rpm

If anyone would actually like to see teh full graphs then i can post them up too :wacko:

Comments & opinions welcome, Ben

welshpug

I guess westec didnt use an ignition pickup and went off the tacho needle, same as Powerstation did with my STD 1.9 and apparently revved it to 6.5k!

how did emerald get the RPM? from the computer plugged into the ECU :unsure:

nice results, but has it affected the drive? and how many tunnels did yuo go through with the windows down and the pedal flat :wacko:

James_R

I think it's a completely pointless excercise ploting a known useless power graph against another known useles power graph for starters.

The importnat thing is that it now idles nicely, and goes like a rocket. The fact Dave had to knock 4 degree's peak advance off says the 2 pulley would have been better or, time to get an inlet cam and go back to Dave :unsure:

Oh and get your wheel balanced this time :wacko:

Alastairh

Sounds not bad :wacko:

So how does it drive? And as welshpug said, how many tunnels you been through? :unsure:

Baz

Very nice!! Sounds like a 2nd trip is looming then?? perhaps avec inlet cam and dare i say it, some balanced wheels? :wub::lol:

How about a pic of the bay, so we can all sit and make 'Bwaaaarrrrrrrp' noises at it!! :lol:

Bonzai
I guess westec didnt use an ignition pickup and went off the tacho needle, same as Powerstation did with my STD 1.9 and apparently revved it to 6.5k!

how did emerald get the RPM? from the computer plugged into the ECU :wub:

I think westec are a lot more used to doing modern VAG cars so possibly the methods used are more accurate on newer cars, i dont know. I could always go back there and get a second readout for another completely useless comparison :lol:

I think it's a completely pointless excercise ploting a known useless power graph against another known useles power graph for starters.

Undoubtedly but you can compare the "area under the graph" and see the difference accross the rev range, not just at the peaks.

Sounds not bad :D

So how does it drive? And as welshpug said, how many tunnels you been through? :P

Truth be told it drives pretty similar, its always been a bit of an animal engine, now its just got added sound affects. The main differences are in how the ECU can control everything, and boy is it good :D

Tunnels, oh yes the ones at teh top of the m25 were quite entertaining but i waited till i got home to really give it some. Handily i have a big tunnel on my daily journey to work. Tunnel count so far is approx 10 in 3 and a half days :D

Very nice!! Sounds like a 2nd trip is looming then?? perhaps avec inlet cam and dare i say it, some balanced wheels? :P:lol:

How about a pic of the bay, so we can all sit and make 'Bwaaaarrrrrrrp' noises at it!! :D

I doubt i'll be back there this year, at £275+Vat a time i can wait!. For now i will just enjoy driving it as much as i can. Nurburgring here i come! Have a few jobs to do on OOJ before i go and wheel balancing is one of them yes.

Here's one of James's pics during installation.

dsc00454iw3.th.jpg

James_R

Time for an inlet cam and remap.

Sign in to follow this