• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Ap 4 Paddle Clutch

Bally

Just received my clutch, AP 4 paddle, problem being I ordered the one with the springs, I got the one without. Will this be a pig to drive on a std pressure plate, will it destroy the flywheel and pressure.

brianthemagical

i think it just make take up a bit harsher and puts a bit more shock on the engine during clutch operation. has it got a marcel? i think that s what eases the take up, almost like riding the clutch slightly (only in a very basic sence). the pressure plate won't make a differance to the clutch, only it's max torque.

Bally

What is a marcel?

brianthemagical

a marcel is like a thin wavy piece of metal between the back and front friction material. it acks like a spring to ease the take up of the power.

Bally

Yes it is connected by a thin wavy metal.

So will it be okay?

brianthemagical

the thin bit of wavy metal just eases the take up, i don't it is too hard to imagine that it will allow some friction but not the full force of the pressure plate until the clutch is released slightly more. the springs in the middle basically act as a shock barrier between the gearbox and the engine so aggressive clutch use dodgy gear changes will put more stress on the 'box and engine and it will give a slightly harsher take up in terms of feeling the car lurch.

Bally

So I am thinking that for a turbo Mi16 everyday driver with the occassional drag race this setup is a bit too much and I should get one wit the springs??

Comments??

James_R

Think you'll find any paddle clutch and a daily driver is a no no, why not get an uprated organic clutch? Often have the same torque rating on them anyways, that or look in to a double plate organic set up. Daily use and a paddle clutch will eat the flywheel and clutch plate pretty charp if you're a townie, if you're out in the sticks and only pull away once or twice on the way to work sure it will be ok

Sign in to follow this