• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Baffled Mi Sump

driversdomainuk

Hi

Just got my Mi16 baffled sump today from HFH...

Looking directy above it, with the sump plug to the right..the baffle with the "trap door" is located on the far left. As I understand it, does the Mi only suffer oil starvation on hard right hand corners, as I cant see how it would work on left corners (i.e oil going away from baffle) - or in this instance, would the trap door open and release oil - feeding oil to the pump..? :)

Thanks

chownr

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but it sounds like the HFH sump is based on the standard GTi 6 trap door sump?

I believe the PTS sump has a number of baffles across the whole plan area of the sump but I stand to be corrected - Brumster?

We suffered surge earlier in the year on a long left hand bend when we were using a trap door sump. resulted in a spun shell on No 3 crank. We have since bitten the bullet and gone dry sump route which is ideal.

If you do a little search you will see that Mis suffer surge when cornering left or right and under heavy acceleration and heavy braking. I would add that some engines seem to be fine but no one has ever put there finger on why.

Do a search there is plenty of info and suggestions out there

Rich

Edited by chownr

C_W

The trap door will always open towards the pickup, as it's located to the right of the pickup (looking at the car) it just happens that it opens with the flow of oil on left handers.

Mine hasn't got a trap door but a centre baffle with a gap under it and a top plate. The main problem IMO is that the oil pump seems to take up a lot of one side of the base of the block meaning it's difficult to get a symmetrical baffle design.

C_W

The trap door will always open towards the pickup, as it's located to the right of the pickup (looking at the car) it just happens that it opens with the flow of oil on left handers.

Mine hasn't got a trap door but a centre baffle with a gap under it and a top plate. The main problem IMO is that the oil pump seems to take up a lot of one side of the base of the block meaning it's difficult to get a symmetrical baffle design.

driversdomainuk

so would you be confident that my baffled sump will be ok for motorsport use? (hillclimbing and add track day)

Miles

I find the trap door baffle systems useless when used in anger so I would say the only half hearted baffle plate is the Pug Sport one,

I'm using the French one which is amaze of trap door's as used in the French Tarmac Rallying, This is rather expensive thou.

I know that even TT just welded in a plate in the sump as do other companies but to what avail I wouldn;t like to say.

Turbo7379

Keep an eye out for my 'My MI Oil Surge Thread' , I'll be updating it in the next few days . ;)

Sign in to follow this