• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
silent_running

Fan Switch Temperatures?

silent_running

Seems like the cooling system on the 1.6 GTi is pretty much working now, only thing is it does still get up to 2/3 water temp at standstill although the fan controls it at that level. I want the fan to come in at half temp, seeing as with its new 83 degree 'stat and rad it now runs nicely at just above the 1/3 water temp mark the rest of the time.

At a guess the fan switch must be cutting in at well into the 90's which to me seems like it's not controlling the temp properly compared to the work the thermostat is doing. What are the standard temperatures the 3-pin/2-speed fan switch works at, and is there a 'colder' replacement? Or could it be that my switch is just knackered and not switching early enough?

Cheers,

Nick

Mikey S

iirc the temps for the rad fan are 98c for the low speed fan and 102c for the high speed. cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolnt so it wont be doing any harm. :blush:

the thermostat is only there to speed up warm up.

Edited by pugger

sonofsam

1264 16 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83 (pre-1990)

1264 17 - slow on at 88 and off at 83 - fast on at 92 and off at 88 (pre-1990)

1264 18 - slow on at 93 and off at 88 - fast on at 97 and off at 92 (pre-1990)

1264 22 - slow on at 97 and off at 92 - fast on at 101 and off at 96 (pre-1990)

1264 27 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83 (1990 on)

1264 45 - slow on at 97 and off at 92 - fast on at 101 and off at 96 (1990 on)

I've got 1264 27 on my Turbo, as this was the lowest i could find

@ my local motor factors that had the right connection ( Ph2 three pins in a row)

So yes lower temp. switches are available, just take a picture of the plug

to a decent motor factor and have a look through their books, to match

one up if you want a lower temp one that is :blush:

silent_running

Wicked that's exactly the info I need. I've just been out testing again and it's bringing the slow fan on at dead on the 2/3 temperature mark, hard to say what that is exactly but it must be 90 at least if the stat is open at 83. Fast never comes on. The fan is definitely capable of both speeds because I tested it.

How does the number relate to the part? Is that a Peugeot code, or a manufacturer (Valeo etc?) Presumably on the 89 model this means phase 1 with the 3 pins in a 'triangular' layout?

Is there any 'standard' one for 1.6 GTis? The Haynes lists the 82-83 degree thermostat, but no details of the fan switch.

sonofsam

Afaik it's a pug code. Yes Ph1 triang. pin config.

Maybe your slow/fast fan resistor is dead? Although it can take a while for fast to kick

in sometimes...

silent_running

No the resistor is fine. It's reading a good 9 ohms and if I stick 12v directly through the resistor I get slow, and direct to the motor, fast. It also shows that when the full 14v is going through the resistor in the slow position, I'm getting 6-7 volts back through the other pin from the other side of the resistor so all's well with that.

I've just been down to Lucas and they had them all in the catalogue - I ordered a 88-84/92-88 switch in the end, reasoning that on an 83 thermostat, the colder switch (84-80/88-84 IIRC) would have the fan cutting in far too often.

brianthemagical

how much was the fan switch?

silent_running
how much was the fan switch?

£11+VAT from my local Lucas/LSUK factors. They have a choice of 4 different temp ranges. I went for 88-83/92-87. With a new 83 thermostat in as well, it runs nicely at just over 1/3 temp when driving, in traffic gets to halfway then the slow fan cuts in and keeps it there. Never triggered the fast fan yet I don't think.

Sign in to follow this