• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz-2006

Engine Speed Sensor - Where?

Gaz-2006

Excuse the random question, but it has been so long since i last had my XU5JA (1.6 GTI) engine complete and running, that i've forgotten how the engine speed sensor mounts in there. (pic below of engine speed sensor)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8474/imag0055tu2.jpg

Anyone able to help me out with where it should be?

Cheers :rolleyes:

jackherer

one end goes into a hole in the gearbox just above the flywheel and the other end is held loose on top of the cam cover as its only used for diags by pug dealers (i.e. never).

welshpug

not 100%, but i think thats an early one, so it goes at the bottom where the metal plate covers the flywheel, got a closer pic of the business end?

Hilgie

Well both are sort of wrong/right.

It is speed sensor, old type and used for diagnostics ONLY!.

It goes on the rear of the gearbox, around half way.

But you can leave it out without any problems.

Gaz-2006

ah ha, now i'm with you. Thanks for the replies all. So this would have been with the BE1 gearbox most likely if early type? I'm running the BE3 on my race car now so i will leav it out on your advice if only used for diagnostics :)

Cheers very much :)

Hilgie

yes this would have been on a BE1 box and Jetronic injection.

Miles

And 99% of BE3's over here, But as said the best place for it is the bin, But you can bin allot of other things if racing inc the SAD

Gaz-2006

Interesting about being able to bin the SAD and other things, any more info on that by any chance?

Also, is there a difference between an early and late sensor? As the sensor in the pic has a 2 pin brown plug.. i was wondering if there was a different type of connector on the 'late' engine speed/TDC sensors?

Reason i'm asking is that i have just fitted my wiring loom (had 2 cars, 2 engines etc so can't guarantee which bits came from what!) and have a spare connector on the loom near the AFM. It is the only yellow/grey plug there and i cant find anything for it to plug in to! (Hoping this is the connector for the late type sensor?)

Any gen?

Cheers

Gaz

Sign in to follow this