• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Exhaust Mounts

gti_al

Got my mi16 in and the exhaust attached to the manifold (with clearance provided by a PeterT's wedge), but have found the mounts look like they need modifying. The downpipe seems to sit marginally to the drivers side now, and further towards the back of the car than it should. We took the exhaust off to get it in, and now can't really get it back on.

The person helping me fit the engine said he had to reweld his mounts as they didn't line up, but i hadn't heard of this being necessary. Has anyone else had to do this, or is there a better solution? As i can neither weld, or drive the car until it is sorted i am keen to find an alternative.

Also, i haven't looked at it since the exhaust was reconnected, so am just going on what a mate said at this point. Not ideal, but i won't get a chance to look at it for a couple of days. Did a search and didn't find much... although some said they needed to shorten the downpipe? Is this common?

Edited by gti_al

jackherer

Different people seem to get different results with different 205s and different downpipes :D

I always have to cut the flange off the downpipe, cut a cheese wedge section off and reweld the flange at a slight angle so the downpipe runs straight through the tunnel and the mounts line up. YMMV :D

gti_al

Thanks for moving the thread...

This is a significant pain in the arse anyway. Is it better to modify the downpipe or the mounts? I should probably replace the whole lot... Was i being unrealistic to think it would all bolt up?

Edited by gti_al

jackherer

if its pointing to one side and sticking back too far then its the same as all the conversions I've done so just chop the flange off the downpipe and remove pipe until it all lines up then weld it back together.

Ryan

Same here. I had to take ~30-35mm off the downpipe.

gti_al

Cheers guys - sounds like my car isn't unusual then. Had me quite stumped though, as i thought that once the exhaust was reangled i would be fine...

Sign in to follow this