• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimfai

Newbie With Mi16 Swap ?

Guest jimfai

hello from the states all, finally trying to complete a 2 year project (was supposed to be 4 months). i have a mini that someone else put a 1.6 gti motor and tranny in, i liked it and decided to upgrade: i bought a built MI16 motor in the uk that a fellow had put in his 205 (dual carbs no injection) and a freshly rebuilt tranny to go with it. soooo, i have the engine and tranny in and just about completed except my question is the dizzy?? the motor i bought came with the dizzy extension on it as well as a nice bosch dizzy unit, it has a small plug on the bottom side that would hook up to the amplifier next to my coil?? but i did not get the plug part and i do not know which wire is which. the 1.6 i removed was injected and it had 2 wires running from the amplifier to its dizzy but the plug is different than the one the one that came on my MI16. i do not want to guess and maybe burn out something. i searched on here and it sounds like i can swap back to the 1.6 dizzy? but i was hoping to be able to keep what came with the motor, hope somoene can help?? thanks all, jim

Guest jimfai
swap to thte 1.6 dizzy

thanks, it is a straight swap than? amplifier works and there is no loss or gain in performance from an aftermarket unit?

Guest Frittjoff

youll need a spacer in between not exactly sure what u mean with dizzy extension, but if u try to fit the dizzy youll see dno whos making the spacer in between, quite manny here knows i belive

taylorspug

I think by dizzy extension he means the dizzy adaptor/spacer that you are on about Frittjoff.

In theory the 1.6 dizzy will go on and work, you may want to search on here to see if it is correctly weighted though. The last dizzy adaptor i played around with had to be filed out to allow more advance, so you may have to do a bit of tweaking to get it perfect.

Are you running the engine on carbs or the standard 1.6 management? If it is the latter you will need a different ECU, as the 1.6 item is not suitable. This is not a major issue though as these are cheap and plentiful over here! :blush:

Guest jimfai
youll need a spacer in between not exactly sure what u mean with dizzy extension, but if u try to fit the dizzy youll see dno whos making the spacer in between, quite manny here knows i belive

you are right, i meant adaptor/spacer. i am running twin webers so no engine management issues. i just thought from my reading here that the 1.6 dizzy is not optimum? so i was hoping someone could give me some wiring directions and even sell a plug for the Bosch unit that the previous owner of the motor had put on it.

matt-k

Hi jimfai, any chance you could give us some more info on your mini, i was thinking of putting a 1.9 gti engine in a clubman shell as i know where there is one in a barn! Has yours got a 205 subframe etc? Some pics would be good. :blush:

Cheers, Matt.

Guest jimfai
Hi jimfai, any chance you could give us some more info on your mini, i was thinking of putting a 1.9 gti engine in a clubman shell as i know where there is one in a barn! Has yours got a 205 subframe etc? Some pics would be good. :blush:

Cheers, Matt.

hi matt, i can take some pictures later this week, i have the car at the body shop still as it is just finished painting and i need to finish up the engine bay, basically a 205 undercarriage with a mini body over it, the nose was extended because it is not a clubby and it has large wheel flares similar to fortech ones to accomodate the wider wheel base of the 205, send me a pm with your email addy and i will get some taken, jim

Sign in to follow this