• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Fowler

Custom Alternator Belt Required Xu10j4rs

Tom_Fowler

Hi

I have removed the power steering pump and aircon compressor from my GTI6 engine and made a new tensioner pulley to run just the alternator and a minimal belt length. I now need a poly vee belt (6 ribs as per GTI6) of about 710mm length? Any ideas where I can get one, I have been to Halfords and checked all the ones they have out on the shelf but the supply of 6 ribbed ones was pretty pore.

Thanks Tom

Ryan

Can you use a 5 rib belt instead, and leave on of the grooves on the pulleys empty. You get a better choice as they are more common.

The flip-books in halfords lists the specs for all the belts they sell, so you're not limited to check just the ones on the shelf. One column lists the halfords part number, the other will have the size - something like '5PK800' would be a 5 rib belt 800mm long

Richie-Van-GTi

Can you explain how you have done the tensioner please, or better still post some pics.

As for belt my local motor factors just match them up by length and number of teeth as the type they stock actually have the lengths on the packaging :D

Cant remember the brand, its blue and white packaging though.

whizzer71

Used 6PK720 on mine ,and on my m8s one,any decent motor factor should be able to supply you with one of these.

Tris

:blush:

Tom_Fowler

Hi

For the tensioner I have used a Xu10j4rs cambelt tensioner, this is smooth pulley and therefore designed to run on the back of a belt. I have positioned the tensioner onto a mounting point on the side of the alternator bracket that is not normally used for the gti6 setup. This positions the tensioner approximately half way between the crank pulley and the alternator pulley on the bottom run of belt. And runs on the back of the belt pushing it up to tension it. This has the advantage of increasing the circumferance of pulley that the belt runs on.

I can get some pictures at the weekend and will try and post them somewhere as I dont have enough points to post here I dont think.

I found this program (link below) while searching for belts. Its from the Dayco website, you need to download the executable catalogue, then you can use it spec belts from the length and type of drive etc. It will then give you a part no. and what vehicles its used on. There is also many other parts all in the same program.

http://europe2.markivauto.biz/dayco/en/catalogues.htm

I measured up and the closest belt to what I need is a Dayco 6PK698 found in the catalogue from the above link. The belt was list as being used on various citroens, pug and fiats although when I looked these models up on the gsf website it listed a different belt length? So although I have the part no. of the belt I need I am still yet to find it for sale! Any help here would be great.

Thanks Tom

Richie-Van-GTi

if you can measure the actual length with string etc I'll be doing my tensioner today so when I go to get my belt in next day or 2 I can try and get a definate part number for you while Im there, or possibly get the belt for you and post it over if you caqnt get one locally.

jonnie205

You will need a 5 ribbed belt. The 6 rib belt is too wide if you are using the tensioner method and 1 of the ribs will not be running on the tensioner and belt will come off. A 5 ribbed 1.9 mi16 belt fits perfect and this will need to be moved onto the inner of the crank pulley leaving the outer rib not used.

Remember to cut down the engine mount as much as you can as they are VERY heavy.

Tom_Fowler

Its hard to explain without a picture but because I am using a cambelt tensioner its a smooth pulley that is wider than a 6pk belt and therefore be run on the back of the belt to tension it as it would on the cambelt. Therefore I can use a 6pk belt to match the pulleys on the crank and alternator.

The exact belt length i need ideally is 705mm and the closest ive found to this is the 6pk 698 (698mm). I made a belt up at this length from an old longer one and it would fit. I just need to find this part which i know is made by Dayco just cant buy it yet although I have not been able to get to many places to look.

As for cutting down the engine mount you def need to do this as its the heaviest thing on earth! I have chopped a load that used to hold the pas pump and trimmed it here and there too which has removed a lot of weight but it still weighs a ton. I have started to model one up on CAD to get a ligtweight version machined but the machining and material would be very costly as its a large complicated part so this will need to go on hold for while I think!

Tom

Sign in to follow this