• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Gearlinkage Trouble With New Gearstick

Doof

Why does nothing ever work? Nothing ever go straightforward?!?!?!

Basically i bought a new gearstick that is slightly longer at the bottom to act as a quickshift. The problem is that now when you move the stick toward first (no linkages are attached to the 'box) you can feel it knocking. I had a look under the car and as you move it the two rods that go forward towards their pivots touch about half way along. As far as i can see theres no adjustment you can make which means this stick is useless....i presume this modification is possible and whoever makes these gearsticks tested it out.

Anyone used one of these before? Should extending the stick act as a quickshift? and should the two rods not foul each other?

I'm meant to be going round europe next monday but the car is in bits and nothing is going as planned, not to mention the weather in this 5hithole of a country is so bad i can't do anything to my car unless i go out there in sodding scuba gear!!!!!! ARGH!!!!! :(-_-

Edit: Ahh found the PM from SPGTi who i got it from, apparently its from Miles....any ideas Miles, should it just work?

Edited by Doof

Hilgie

why haven't you just shortened the L-shaped bracket?

rapidmi
why haven't you just shortened the L-shaped bracket?

as above shoten the L shaped bracket and new linkage rodds feels amazing

Doof

I've got new rods, and i got a new stick because the top of my stick has been sawn off so i've had no gearknob for 4 months!

Miles

All the sticks came from X Sport Racing,

Just sent you a PM with further info

engine killer
Why does nothing ever work? Nothing ever go straightforward?!?!?!

Basically i bought a new gearstick that is slightly longer at the bottom to act as a quickshift. The problem is that now when you move the stick toward first (no linkages are attached to the 'box) you can feel it knocking. I had a look under the car and as you move it the two rods that go forward towards their pivots touch about half way along. As far as i can see theres no adjustment you can make which means this stick is useless....i presume this modification is possible and whoever makes these gearsticks tested it out.

Anyone used one of these before? Should extending the stick act as a quickshift? and should the two rods not foul each other?

I'm meant to be going round europe next monday but the car is in bits and nothing is going as planned, not to mention the weather in this 5hithole of a country is so bad i can't do anything to my car unless i go out there in sodding scuba gear!!!!!! ARGH!!!!! :D;)

Edit: Ahh found the PM from SPGTi who i got it from, apparently its from Miles....any ideas Miles, should it just work?

i guess i am using a similar setup. the one i have got is from TAS and it is about 10mm longer at the bottom. i cannot remember whether those two rods touched at the start when installed by my friends, but they are now bent a little to avoid touching. hope this will work for you as well.

by the way, the TAS one has a little hole just a few cm above the main pivot point, and i had two rod cracked at that point. so i welded it back on and sleeved it inside a long (14") stainless steel tube and stuffed with lot of quicksteel putty. with an extended L-plate, it is now short shift and the gear knob is about the height as a BTCC's car. :P

SPGTi

Doof,

I test fitted this to my car, drove up and down the road a few times and never had any problems. I only changed back to std as I was worried that over the rough stuff on rallies the bottom of the stick was a little exposed.

Steve

Doof

Thats interesting to know Steve, I really can't see how there can be adjustment in it so it's bizarre that it'll fit one but not another. I'll have a play again today and see if i can get any adjustment.

Sign in to follow this