• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

Which Pulley On A Cat Cam

skeggyrik

When running a Cat Cam inlet cam on an Mi16, can you retain the standard cam pulley or do you need to have a matching vernier pulley? if orginal pulleys can be used which is better suited a No.2 or No 4?

Edited by skeggyrik

petert
When running a Cat Cam inlet cam on an Mi16, can you retain the standard cam pulley or do you need to have a matching vernier pulley? if orginal pulleys can be used which is better suited a No.2 or No 4?

Depends on which cam. What's the recommended lobe centre angle? Regardless of which grind however, the #2 won't be suitable. It suits standard cams and nothing else.

John_B

I have the No. 4 inlet and No. 2 exhaust. I'm very happy with the power but mine doesn't idle from cold. I'm thinking about getting verniers but I'm worried if I do get it set up so that it will idle, will I lose a load of power? Also how do I know that it'll idle from cold when it's set up hot on the rollers?

I've done a bit of looking through past topics lately. The following may help you;

Got The Cat Cams Inlet Only Camshaft Fitted To My Mi Yesterday, Now it shifts but idle is s*ite!

16v Camshafts, Specials on Stage I and Stage II Regrinds

Cam Pulleys, Just a quick question if anyone can help

Underpower ?, what's a Vernier pulley setup ?

Catcam Mi16 Inlet Cam, ...soooooo slow

I've taken this:

CatCam4900526.jpg

from http://www.catcams.be/

Also from petert

"#2 - 114 deg. lobe centre angle

#3 - 111 deg.

#4 - 108 deg."

Does this mean a No. 3 would be the closest to 112deg? Am I looking at the right figure?

Also found this from Mattsav

"If its idling at 850rpm then open the throttle stop. It will probably be much nicer at 900/950rpm.

The no.4 pulley advances the cam, thus opening it sooner and giving more overlap. This creates bigger pulses in the inlet tract and upsets the idle.

You'll probably need a bit more fuel on idle as more will pass through the engine unburnt (which you can see as higher HC's)"

Would I get a power loss going from 4 to 3?

I should add that I'm not 100% sure I haven't got an air leak or that my ICV isn't faulty. I have changed the coolant temp sensor and AFM, and had the idle mixture checked though.

Edited by John_B

VisaGTi16v

Ta for the info/research as I will be considering one of these cams in the future. Does yours manage to idle when up to temperature? If not how about just upping the idle speed a bit?

John_B

Yeah it does idle when warm. A bit lumpy but it sounds quite nice!

I think, on my car at least, it was quite difficult to adjust the idle accurately. I'm also a bit wary about using more fuel on idle as my commute is either flat out or in traffic, so I'm only getting 22-23mpg. I wouldn't like to get any less!

petert

The 4900526 intake would have a much better power range around 108 to 110 degrees. A 112 deg. is too retarded for any performance Mi16 cam.

sorr

John_B are you sure it is the cam that cause your dodgy idle as I have the same set up on mine and the idle is spot on. The only time it gets lumpy and erratic is if you are sitting in stationary traffic for longer than 20 minutes. But if you give it a burst of revs it settles down again.

Also does the power delivery really kick in after 5K revs on yours?

Forgot to add that the only time mine had a bad cold idle it was due to a bad AFM, put another one on and all was good.

Edited by sorr

Sign in to follow this