• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Calling Any 2.0 Mi16/s16 Owners!

huzzer

Hi all.

I am currently trying to convert my 1.9 D6C to a 2.0 RFY.

I am starting out with a bare RFY block and have already come across some difficulties swapping over the parts from my D6C.

1. Obviously the engine mounts are different but the 1.9 mount carries the alternator, does the 2.0 have a separate alternator mount and does anybody have one?

2. The starter motor bolts to the gearbox with two bolts at the fly side and a third through gearbox and block which seems fine. What happens at the other end of the starter? The 1.9 bracket doesnt look like it will go on. Another different bracket?

3. Oil pipe layout is very different. Anyone know of a diagram to show where they will go?

4. Is the oil filter adapter an oil/water cooler or an oil cooler. I wanted to remove it completely but the internal thread is female rather than male so the filter won't go straight back on.

Any answers would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Ben.

Edited by huzzer

DrSarty

I dunno if I class as 'an owner', but I've got a pile of bits and have learnt some stuff recently which may help.

On my project thread (see sig), there are comments on the mounting bracket. The overwhelming response was 'use the 2.0L one'. I believe my S16 mount does also carry the alternator of which I can send you a pic if you need. But I'm also receiving other bits from the mount and alternator bracket from Deejay soon and can confirm fully then.

The rear of the starter motor does have a bracket with 2off 11mm head bolts; but many people leave that bracket off as it's a beyatch to get to when the manifold's on if you ever need to play with the starter.

As for the oil coiler (on the front of the block), it looks the same to me as the Mi one and is a water fed oil cooler (surely) which plumbs in exactly the same way?

Try miamistu's on line parts catalogue here for a 2.0 Mi engine and look up oil/breather/filler pipes. Should give a hint on connection :unsure:

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

huzzer

Thanks Rich.

The alternator looks like it bolts to the mount with one hole but there must be a bracket of some sort to mount the other side.

I think your right about the water cooler.

If you could send me a pic of your mount that would be great.

Miles

There's a few different mounts for the Alt, The one shown has power steering but should give you a idea of what's what along with a couple of oil pipes

The oil Filter thread can be bought from Pug or most automotive hose/fitting companies.

post-43-1180287516_thumb.jpg

huzzer

Thanks Miles.

That makes things a lot clearer.

Is the oil pipe running along the bottom then up, the oil filler pipe? Or is it the middle of the block one?

I have a parts wanted list running if anyone can help (exhaust manifold, top engine mount, oil pressure sender, and alt bracket) Cheers.

Alastairh

I've done both, click the link in my sig for the S16 pics.

As for the alternator, you need the mounts off a Xm with top mounted power steering but runs off a second pulley. Using your bottom whole on the S16 top mount, the bottom bracket that the alternator goes through with a 22mm bolt and held on by 3 13mm bolts from a xm and the top adjuster triangle plate that you can see in miles's pic it works!

On the Gti6 i've just converted, i've used that xm bottom mount, S16 top mount, 8v alternator + belt and made a tensioner plate, actually out of an ally sump spacer, and the bolts line up spot on!

i'll drag pics out this week when its sunny :unsure:

Alastair

huzzer
I've done both, click the link in my sig for the S16 pics.

As for the alternator, you need the mounts off a Xm with top mounted power steering but runs off a second pulley. Using your bottom whole on the S16 top mount, the bottom bracket that the alternator goes through with a 22mm bolt and held on by 3 13mm bolts from a xm and the top adjuster triangle plate that you can see in miles's pic it works!

Wow. Sounds complicated. :unsure:

I'll read through it more slowly in a minute to work out! Thanks Alastairh.

I dont have any brackets at all at the moment and i won't want power steering so does that mean I still need an XM bottom braket or will it bolt straight to the bracket on the sump?

Doof

Off topic, but whats that pump thing that seems to be driven off the front camshaft on the flywheel side?

DrSarty
Off topic, but whats that pump thing that seems to be driven off the front camshaft on the flywheel side?

That pump on my BX16v (running off the exhaust cam pulley) ran the power steering. Could be the same?

Rich

Miles

Thats the vacume pump, All the GTi6 engine's have this too and on the S16 engine there was either this or a chamber to store the vacume as found on the 405

Doof

Mine isn't power steering, thats down near the alternator.

Umm, vacuum for what?

Miles

For the brake servo

huzzer

I have seen a diagram from Petert about oil pipe layout but its not very clear. Has anybody got a clearer one, Will I be able to use the oil pipes from the 1.9 or will I need new ones so they reach the right places?

Miles

Depends on what inlet manifold your using, as the pipes go more with that than the block, I'd stick with the 1.9 inlet myself

huzzer

I will be using the 1.9 inlet. As far as i can see, this is how it goes. (you may have to use your imagiation :P )

Using 1.9 oil pipes...

Starting from the bottom left next to oil filter...

Oil filler pipe (I think I need to cut off and block up the breather that goes up to cam cover)

Next one along to the right connects to breather on cam cover.

Furthest one to the right connects to the breather on oil filler cap.

Sound right??

Guest DanielVTS

Aha, this is all good but I got a bit lost in it! I'm prepping a Xsara VTS for race, sprint, hillclimb and eventually rally use, hence keeping the PAS but the AC is gone. The compressor is just sitting there as a heavy belt idler at the moment! Can anyone list the parts I need (306 Rallye?) to convert the pulleys/belts ets to non-AC??

Sign in to follow this