• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

Cams

All Praise The GTI

i bought a 1.9 and was told it had a uprated cam but ive never driven a 1.9 before so not sure how quick it should be. how do i tell if it is a performance cam without taking it out???

also i know the later 1.6's have the same head/valve size etc as the 1.9 but do they share the same standard cam?

cheers for any help

DaveK

the 1.6's usually have a chamfered edge around both edges of the lobes, although there are afew exceptions i think

j_turnell

Only the earlier 1.6 cams had the chamfered edges, most of them are worn out now though, the later 91 onwards looked like the 1.9 cam with no chamfer. If you remove your dizzy, mark the position first to maintain ignition timing, there should be a stamp on the end of the cam. Or just remove the rocker cover and take a pic.

Ahl

I've always heard that the 8v head flow is nearly maxed out as standard, and that the standard cam is a pretty high duration item.

Apparently even some of the 'fast road' cams you can buy are virtually the same as the standard cam.

If the engine really does have some crazy cam in it, then it'll most likely idle a lot worse than a standard car, and be lacking in power at low revs.

Sign in to follow this