• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ole_1987

Mi16 Vs 8v

Ole_1987

Hi there.

My project "205 GTI 1,9" rebuild is going very well, but now i'm in a little bit of dilemma.

I have an org. 1.9L 8v engine and modified head and cam which produced about 145HP

But i've been offered an Mi16 with 148HP and now i'm considdering using the 16v instead.

The Mi16 are a little bit heavier than the 8v approx. 20kg have I been told.

Whether I choose the one or the other they will be equipped with throttle bodies.

The car wil be be used for daily driving and a little competition.

What would you choose? and WHY?

Ahl

I'd choose the 16v because it is a better engine with much more potential than the 8v, especially if you are sticking TB's on it, simple as that really.

They are also nowhere near 20kg heavier.

smckeown

it also depends what competition you are going for and what your power targets are. If it's already had good headwork i'd keep the 8v as you already have the lump in there.

DaveK

For me the major benefit of the 16v was the much improved management. They actually idle like a normal car but then again if you are going TB's this will probably not be an issue with the 8v

On the plus side the mi16 with TB's will easily keep up with modern hot hatches but an 8v will be lagging abit

I agree with Ahl, the mi16 is generally a better choice id say

keith

its a bit of a no-brainer in my eyes.

there's not a lot of point in heavily modifying a 8v as its very pricey to get it up to 160bhp as it is! when you can have circa 160bhp give or take with a standard mi16, for around £400 if yo DIY. I'm not sure what the guys with 8v are pushing out with TB's and such, but the 16v should be producing >190-200 bhp with a good set of tb's, the correct cams and mappable management.

i would even go as far to say that its a little more reliable as the engines are a little more modern.

thats my view anyway :lol:

Edited by keith

paul wicks

For a road car the 16v, for a track car 8v.

Miles

GTi6 engine, Thats the way forward and more power too.

Ahl

What Miles said. :lol:

What do you mean? Its not hard to sort out the oil starvation issues.

Ole_1987
I'd choose the 16v because it is a better engine with much more potential than the 8v, especially if you are sticking TB's on it, simple as that really.

They are also nowhere near 20kg heavier.

The weight i'm not sure about. But in my ears 20 kg is a lot when the engine block is nearly the same. Just read somewhere in this forum.

it also depends what competition you are going for and what your power targets are. If it's already had good headwork i'd keep the 8v as you already have the lump in there.

The headwork shoul be fine. It has been modified by two firms her in denmark.

For me the major benefit of the 16v was the much improved management. They actually idle like a normal car but then again if you are going TB's this will probably not be an issue with the 8v

On the plus side the mi16 with TB's will easily keep up with modern hot hatches but an 8v will be lagging abit

I agree with Ahl, the mi16 is generally a better choice id say

Thx for you reply.

its a bit of a no-brainer in my eyes.

there's not a lot of point in heavily modifying a 8v as its very pricey to get it up to 160bhp as it is! when you can have circa 160bhp give or take with a standard mi16, for around £400 if yo DIY. I'm not sure what the guys with 8v are pushing out with TB's and such, but the 16v should be producing >190-200 bhp with a good set of tb's, the correct cams and mappable management.

i would even go as far to say that its a little more reliable as the engines are a little more modern.

thats my view anyway :lol:

The 8v head HAS been modified, so it won't be that expensive.

It could be nice to now what people are getting out of their 8v's on TB's.

why?

GTi6 engine, Thats the way forward and more power too.

Yah.. but they are hard to find here in DK.

Before the engine was ripped apart it produced 145BHP/184NM

as written earlier this was with:

Modified head

Cam with 12,5mm lift (modified)

Pistons, liners, rods and crank from 1,9 16v.

But one pistons has failed and i'll try with the org. 8v pistons, liners etc.. if i don't switch to an mi16 instead.

But this time with TB's from a suzuki gsxr 600 and megasquirt v3 and devil 4 branch manifold.

rulle.jpg

AndyY

I'd go with the 16v, although Miles does know his stuff but i've never been in or driven a 205 with the GTI6 engine in. For some reason the engine bay is cleaner and easier to access with the 16v in wihch just seems weird

James_R

Depends how well you can drive, 8v'd don't surge, Mi16's do. With good suspension you'll find an Mi won't last too long, if you're 8v is already making good power use that and focus on getting the suspension/gearbox/drive train sorted before bothering with more valves.

hodgy

see id stick wth the 8v! the ammount of money ive spent on mine its not worth me changing and plus i dont like all the MI 16 205's out there as there no different to a RED TOP nova(im gonna get lynched for saying that) i like to be different but end of the day it boils down to how much bhp do you want

Ole_1987
Depends how well you can drive, 8v'd don't surge, Mi16's do. With good suspension you'll find an Mi won't last too long, if you're 8v is already making good power use that and focus on getting the suspension/gearbox/drive train sorted before bothering with more valves.

The suspension is a brand new H&R coilover.

The gearbox is from a 1,9 Rallye (105bhp) so it will be taking a lot of rpm a low speed.

see id stick wth the 8v! the ammount of money ive spent on mine its not worth me changing and plus i dont like all the MI 16 205's out there as there no different to a RED TOP nova(im gonna get lynched for saying that) i like to be different but end of the day it boils down to how much bhp do you want

As for now i don't now how much bhp i wan't it depends of whats possible without loosing too much stability (the car is also going to be used for daily driving)

Should i do anything with the enginemounts and gearbox? (what can i do)

hodgy

mine is a daily driver too. i chaged the engine mounts for new ones and uprated the gear box one as i didnt want my teeth to fall out while sat at trafic lights.if its a daily driver the 16v will be better on fuel and actually tick over right so it might be better!

VisaGTi16v

If you have been offered a 148bhp Mi16 then it must be one of the Cat strangled ones which only came in late BX's over here. They have lower compression and all sorts compared to the non cat 160bhp ones. The 405 never had that engine in the UK, it went straight to the 2 litre Mi16/S16

Sign in to follow this