• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesper Cronelid

Camshaft Xu10j2te

Jesper Cronelid

Will a camshaft with the specs 264/108/10.6/1.6 work in my xu10j2te engine?

I was hoping to make about 300bhp.

The camshaft is already mounted and all, but before the first start of the engine, I need to be sure the duraction isnt to high.

Thanks a lot, Jesper

Hilgie

I think this is an upgrade camshaft for a N/A 1.9-8V. So duration might be too long.

Jesper Cronelid
I think this is an upgrade camshaft for a N/A 1.9-8V. So duration might be too long.

Yes it is, but Im pretty sure one of the Norwegian guyes runned his engine with a 274 camshaft that was a xu9 8v upgradecam. Could be Catcam. And mine is "just" 164

//Jesper

Hilgie

Well you could try, but I am sure it will be down on power compared to the DKZ cam or even original cam. Or you have to run LOTS of boost.

Bam

i've run with stock turbocam and 1,65bar boost... 285bhp @5500rpm (then wheelspin on dyno).

turbo doesnt need a lot of camlift.

cheers

petert
The catcam camshaft for a xu10j2te is with the specs:

264 / 267°

234 / 237°

12.25 / 11.60mm

1.85 / 1.85mm

http://www.catcams.be/800x600/prod01Adata....60?PN49003xx.js

Is there really a big difference to my camshaft?

What none of that is telling you is the lobe centre lines, which is 112 and 114 deg. The other cam looked like it had a 108 deg. centre line, which is less than ideal for a turbo engine. Closing (or decreasing) the angle increases the overlap, which means you'll be blowing air/mixture accross the valves at TDC. Ideally you need a wider angle, like the std. Mi16 cams of 114 degrees. I'd use the 4900360 before the other one.

Jakob
What none of that is telling you is the lobe centre lines, which is 112 and 114 deg. The other cam looked like it had a 108 deg. centre line, which is less than ideal for a turbo engine. Closing (or decreasing) the angle increases the overlap, which means you'll be blowing air/mixture accross the valves at TDC. Ideally you need a wider angle, like the std. Mi16 cams of 114 degrees. I'd use the 4900360 before the other one.

Depends on which setup you are running....

First of all, it is the other way arround on a turbo engine - the problem is not air/mixture accros the valves, but hot exaust gasses blowing back into the combustion chamber. 99% at the time on street turbo engine you will have boost levels way under your exaust backpressure. Whenever you build a less restrictive exaust setup (big turbine, long exaust runners etc.) you are able to run more overlab. Everything is about flow and a hi output engine is all a matter of getting the boost vs. exaust backpressure towards (and even under) 1:1.

Going supercharging then you are blowing air/mixture accross the valves. But still when not looking at fuel economy and exaust emissions, this is actually an advantage. It helps exhaust gasses out of the cylinder, cools the pistons, exaust valves and combustion chamber which all in all prevents detonation and gives us the possibility to reach timing closer to MBT.

Just saying that a camshaft with a small lobe centre line (more overlab) could be the right choise on a setup with big turbo, long runners etc giving us hi outout power levels.

/Jakob

Jesper Cronelid

Jakob:

Thanks for the educated answer!

My setup is:

Injectors 630cc/min@3.0bar (890cc@6bar)

DP Loveconnector2 with a Garrett T28R and a 3" downpipe/execaust

This camshaft in the first post (264/108/10.6/1.6)

...in the rough!

Im running a similar setup as one of the norwegians but he ran an even harder gti camshaft, but he got a Lot of power from his machine.

Hope this info will help.

Im anches (spelling?) to get my car up and running soon :lol:

Jesper Cronelid
Thanks for the educating answer!
should it be, didn't find any editbutton

Jakob
Jakob:

Thanks for the educated answer!

My setup is:

Injectors 630cc/min@3.0bar (890cc@6bar)

DP Loveconnector2 with a Garrett T28R and a 3" downpipe/execaust

This camshaft in the first post (264/108/10.6/1.6)

...in the rough!

Im running a similar setup as one of the norwegians but he ran an even harder gti camshaft, but he got a Lot of power from his machine.

Hope this info will help.

Im anches (spelling?) to get my car up and running soon :P

I can not give any advise on specific cams as I simply do not know the backpressure of the V2 manifold and your turbine/turbo etc.. I am about to run the same setup, just with a bigger turbo and I will try different cams. However the V2 manifold has the best potential of low backpressure on the commercial market at the moment. It has long runners before the collector but then again many bends. It is a difficult question which need to be measured or proven by trial and error. It all comes down to the boost vs. backpressure relationship :P The best thing is always to measure both sites. When you have 1,5 boost and 5 bar backpressure, then you know it is time to change turbo or reconsider your manifold....and if you are skilled (and lucky) you will end down near 1:1 and have full power and cam potential.

Jesper Cronelid

We'll see if this setup works, eventially... :P

Thanks all, for your answers

/Jesper

Sign in to follow this