• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
frodo_monkey

New Brake Lines Leaking...

frodo_monkey

Hi all,

I've just replumbed my brake lines on my 1.6, from MC into the car to a bias valve, then from the bias valve out to a T piece then to the rear calipers. Unfortunately when I tried to bleed them this morning, fluid is weeing out from the bias valve... And I'm meant to be racing the thing next Saturday!

I figure the problem is that I've made crap flares (I used a Machine Mart flaring kit) - and I'd rather have confidence in the brakes if I need to go hammering into a corner :D

So does anyone in Yorkshire want to earn some beer tokens to come over, do the flares properly and help me bleed them off? I have tools, tea/coffee and some cashish for anybody who would be kind enough to come and help me out of an evening - any night from this Sunday through to next Friday would be great ;)

Cheers in advance,

Frodo

max0
Hi all,

I've just replumbed my brake lines on my 1.6, from MC into the car to a bias valve, then from the bias valve out to a T piece then to the rear calipers. Unfortunately when I tried to bleed them this morning, fluid is weeing out from the bias valve... And I'm meant to be racing the thing next Saturday!

I figure the problem is that I've made crap flares (I used a Machine Mart flaring kit) - and I'd rather have confidence in the brakes if I need to go hammering into a corner :D

So does anyone in Yorkshire want to earn some beer tokens to come over, do the flares properly and help me bleed them off? I have tools, tea/coffee and some cashish for anybody who would be kind enough to come and help me out of an evening - any night from this Sunday through to next Friday would be great ;)

Cheers in advance,

Frodo

Alright Si, as always willin to help. Think ive got some pipe etc spair from when i did mine

Miles

What bias valve is it? as the cheap one's can be a pain to seal hence why I only use AP ones but it's at least double the cost for those,

You could always get some braded lines made up for it.

pug_ham

Si, if you can tell me the pipe lengths you have made up & the union thread size I could make some pipes up with my garage spec pipe flaring tool in advance so it'll be an easy job or bring the flaring kit with me & make them at yours if you have a vice.

I'm working Until Wednesday but could possibly come up Wednesday evening with everything to help sort it out.

Have you got a pressure bleeder?

Graham.

frodo_monkey

Hi all,

Thanks everybody for the speedy replies - I wouldn't ask unless it was desperate! £175 (non-refundable) race entry fee and no brakes at the mo means that missing the race is a REAL pisser... But racing could be more costly :P

My brake bias valve is made by Allstar performance (yes, el cheapo I know...):

P5130007.jpg

I installed it with one line from the MC to the bias valve, one from the bias valve to the T piece under the rear seat pan, then one line from there to the copper line coming out of the Goodridge hose on the OSR caliper (if that makes sense). I used std M10x1 male fittings throughout, apart from the end of the copper line running under the rear seat pan - had to use a female fitting on one side.

I think the fittings could be the problem - I used M10x1 throughout, rather than the ones that came with the valve... The blurb that came with the valve says 'Two 1/8"-27 NPT to 3/8" Inverted flare fittings are supplied to install 3/16" doble flared brake lines to the valve'. I just used single flared fittings into the M10x1 fittings and screwed them into the bias valve. Presume this is where I was a cock? I have a few pictures on P'bucket of the differences between the two fittings (bias valve ones on the left, std males on the right):

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/fro...ey/P5130010.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/fro...ey/P5130015.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/fro...ey/P5130016.jpg

I also didn't double flare them ;)

frodo_monkey

So Graham, could I please take you up on your kind offer to make me some new ones? (I have also pretty much destroyed the unions on the pipes I made trying to do them up tight - I know, I'm a mong ;))

The lengths are below:

MC to bias valve - 195cm (male to male, bias valve fitting reqd on one end)

Bias valve to T piece - 140cm (male to male, bias valve fitting reqd on one end)

T piece under rear seat pan - 40cm (male to female)

All in 3/16" pipe, natch :D

I'll obviously make it well worth your while with cash, considering the short notice :P

Si

EDIT - I don't have an Eezibleed type bleeder, however I do have one of those Halfrauds 'tube from bleed nipple into plastic tub via clear hose' type things (sorry for the technical terms :D)

EDIT 2 - I didn't use Loctite or that paper Threadlok stuff on the unions either - should I have?

Edited by frodo_monkey

Rippthrough

I can do them if one of the others don't have chance, but I can't fetch 'em over as my car's dead.

pug_ham

Si, its probably best if you to get some of the correct fittings & a roll of brake pipe. I'll bring my flaring kit with me so we can remake the pipes as needed. Its a quick job to make the flares up with my kit so it won't take long to do them on Wednesday.

At least that way we'll have the correct thread on the unions for the bias valve.

I'll bring my Easibleed kit with me as well.

You shouldn't need to use any loctite on the unions imo, I never have anyway but all flares should be double iirc.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this