• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Modified Bulkhead Info

Richie-Van-GTi

Im son to be running 16v lump with gti6 manifold, would really like pictures and info on how best to modify the bulkhed. Engine bay is empty now so probably best I do this now before fitting the engine. Preferably I would cut the bulkhead and weld a new piece in rather than bash it. Just dont know how far back I need to go and how wide/where it needs to be cut.

Revla
Im son to be running 16v lump with gti6 manifold, would really like pictures and info on how best to modify the bulkhed. Engine bay is empty now so probably best I do this now before fitting the engine. Preferably I would cut the bulkhead and weld a new piece in rather than bash it. Just dont know how far back I need to go and how wide/where it needs to be cut.

Are you sure you need to modify anything??

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive been advised it will either need engine tilting or bulkhead modifying, alternative is reangling plate. Not a fan of tilting and since angling plates cost money but modifying the bulkhead just costs me time I'll do it that way ;)

smckeown
Ive been advised it will either need engine tilting or bulkhead modifying

try reading revla's sig ;)

Alastairh

For a gti6 lump?

Check up on search first!

I REALLY wouldn't re arrange your bulk head. Seen other people efforts, even well known companies, and a few years down the line there scrap because the rot etc.

Alastair

Revla
For a gti6 lump?

Check up on search first!

I REALLY wouldn't re arrange your bulk head. Seen other people efforts, even well known companies, and a few years down the line there scrap because the rot etc.

Alastair

Exactly - thought the GTi-6 cleared in standard form.......

A b*tch to use it with a S16 or Mi though!

Trev

Turbo7379

I modified mine using a special bulkhead modifying tool - a bfh ! ;) Mine is a 1.9 MI & the area I had to bash was mostly the drivers side of the tunnel & bulkhead . I could only get so far as I couldn't get the seam to deform .

Looking back I should've cut it & made an extra tunnel as I had to modify the downpipe as well . I cut off the flange & bolted it to the manifold and then kept grinding bits off the pipe until it cleared everything . The time it took to do this would've made a tunnel .

You really need to temp fit the engine & see where it sits . It's not too difficult without the gearbox & if you connect up the top & bottom mounts you'll get a good guide of where you'll have to cut .

GTI6BOY

Yep- gti-6 fits straight in and uses standard mounts.

You do need to cut a little off the top of the engine to allow for brake servo and also if your using the gti-6 inlet manifold and not throttle bodies you need to cut a small piece from the slam panel

chris 417 mi
undefinedIve been advised it will either need engine tilting or bulkhead modifying, alternative is reangling plate. Not a fan of tilting and since angling plates cost money but modifying the bulkhead just costs me time I'll do it that way

Just get your hand in your pocket and get the reangling plate :) And ill be round to get my power steering pump i 'won' sometime :lol:

Richie-Van-GTi
Just get your hand in your pocket and get the reangling plate :D And ill be round to get my power steering pump i 'won' sometime ;)

haha, tell you what, buy me a reangling plate instead of paying for the pump :lol::)

sutol

This is a question I've been mulling over but no one will give a straight answer. Has no one any pictures ?

Has anyone any measurements ?

Interesting about the tunnel, does it need altering much ?

Come on , don't be shy :lol:

Alastairh

S16 revla? My brothers just dropped straight in mate. The only thing i had to do was weld a lamba probe nut on, but with new bolts and springs it was on, with a minor grind of the Mc.

Sorry mate, i really would just not drink beer for a week. You'll regret bashing it!

But Dunno why you'll need to modify it for a 6 though!

Alastair

mbayley77

I only literally had to fold the seam from floor to bulkhead over slightly with a screwdriver once engine was in place. Cleared using standard gti6 exhaust manifold when sat still but just rattled slightly on tickover and acceleration.

My suggestion would be get a hammer, fold over the seam right where the exhaust sits so it is flat and then seal with a decent paint like hammerite or other anti rust paint to stop the rot.

If you seal it off then rot is not an issue. And as for the hammering you dont need to be heavy handed with it.

Worked for me anyways.

16v205

The gti-6 manifold went straight down the centre of the tunnel on mine no problems at all with the clearance, only issues I have is the gear rods rub the manifold/downpipe flange.

Rich

Sign in to follow this