• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt350cos

Mi16 Ecu And New Loom

matt350cos

Just been reading up on the different ecu's before i make up the new 205 mi16 loom, and no suprise i have the 0261200162 ecu which i believe i will need to have a knock sensor and lambda sensor (did think there were a lot of wires in the old mi loom)

Now would i be better off getting hold of a different ecu or do i have to run the other sensors and fit the lambda sensor in the exhaust.

And would this ecu make the engine run less power that other ecu's

Thanks in advance

Radster

Exactly the same thing ive just had :rolleyes:

Here you go!

Adam

petert

I haven't heard of a "162". If it's the similar to a "161" it's easy to run the extra wires for the lamda and knock sensors. Buy some screened microphone cable for the signal wires of the knock and lamda sensors. Run normal unscreened wires for the lamda heating element. Getting pins is the hardest part. I break open old 8V looms and carefully remove the pins by cutting the plastic around them.

The lamda and knock ECU's have much better mixture control, so yes make better torque and power, and get better fuel economy. The ECU I'd stay clear of, is the "176" used on California Mi16's.

If the "162" does turn out to be an 8V ECU I'd give it a miss. Whilst it will run, you won't get the correct fuel/ignition mapping for the 16V.

Edited by petert

matt350cos

Sorry yeah its a 161 mi16 ecu.

so this mean it will make more power?

I should have the extra wires on the old mi loom i hope. just means finding and fitting the lambda sensor.

petert

Start by looking at the ECU end. If there's no pins in the holes for the two snesors, then there's no wires.

matt350cos

yes it does have a knock sensor and i have 1 2 pin plug left over (sitting on top of the gearbox and not the reverse light plug)

is it just a single 2 pin plug for the lambda sensor.

Mikey G
yes it does have a knock sensor and i have 1 2 pin plug left over (sitting on top of the gearbox and not the reverse light plug)

is it just a single 2 pin plug for the lambda sensor.

Lambda should have 4 wires, some sensors split these into 2 (seen on a 306 S16 iirc) 2 wires go to the ECU and the other 2 wires are power and earth.

Most Lambda plugs though run all 4 wires in the same plug.

matt350cos

i have stripped the tape off the mi loom and traced all the wires from the 2 plugs and someone has cut off the reverse light plug which leaves me 2 2 pin plugs which i belive are for the lambda sensor.

it all coming together now i hope Thanks

Sign in to follow this