• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Mi16 - Removing Thermostat Housing To Dist. Block Pipe

Baz

As title, i want to do away with the pipe that runs from the back of the thermostat housing, along the back of the head and down to the distribution block on the back of the engine.

The dist. block is not a problem obviously, sorted by using the 8v item, and i've just used a rubber hose with a bung for the former half in the past.

But, rather than just blocking it off by again using this method, Mig welding up the pipe itself, or even neatly TIG'ing the housing, i've heard there is a pipe which came on a particular model that didn't run the pipe at all?

Does anyone have any more details or possibly even a part number?

Thanks in advance!! ^_^

pugrallye

how will your coolant circulate with a closed stat? do you have an alternative method?

petert

I tig'd up all the unnecessary water outlets on my 2L engine, including removing the pipe as suggested. Water goes in the bottom, and comes out the top. One way in, one way out.

Miles

I always get that part TIG'd up at the stat housing, looks allot neater and less pipes to spring a leak and you get basically a std 8v cooling circuit.

Never known of a housing without the pipe thou

Baz

Right, cheers guys! :) Basically looking as if the neatest option is to Tig it over then, no problem!

I wasn't sure about the blanked item, just thought someone had mentioned it before.

Mikey G
how will your coolant circulate with a closed stat? do you have an alternative method?

Heater circuit?

I thought the pipe was pretty useless but Peugeot must have put it there for a reason.

pacey205

Apparently its there so that on cold winter mornings the heat off the exhaust heats the water to the heater amtrix quicker hence meaning you get warm in the car quicker. Ive left mine plumbed in and it certainly gets toasty quickly when its cold.

Michael

Baz
Apparently its there so that on cold winter mornings the heat off the exhaust heats the water to the heater amtrix quicker hence meaning you get warm in the car quicker. Ive left mine plumbed in and it certainly gets toasty quickly when its cold.

Michael

Meh, I'm no pansy!! :D And i'd rather save the weight... :)

VisaGTi16v

I get nice toasty feet in my Visa due to it being totally stripped out and the exhaust heating the floor up a bit. One trip back from a sprint however I noted how my left foot was actually burning and quite painful from sitting next to the clutch. Closer inspection revealed that I couldnt even touch the floor there as it was so hot.....cracked manifold :)

Banjo

The bx 16v comes with a blanking plug on the end of it I suspect this is what you've heard about, as said just tig it up job done.

Baz

I'm not sure that's true, i've got/had a few engines from BX's without said part? Perhaps were just of a certain age?

inferno

my last bx had this blanked off too, and an aircon switch, the car had leathers but no aircon... suggests maybe aircon was removed at some point, but try looking on an aircon model bx? it was h reg.

though tbh its there for a reason, and a new samco on ebay for that crappy rubber pipe, and then polish or paint the metel pipe, would look pretty top.

Baz

Ah right!

But tbh, just gonna do away with it, it's going to be on a mainly track/comp car anyway. :)

C_W

If you just replicate the 8v pipework you'll do away with the metal pipe at the back of the head and the little rubber u-bend piece on the corner and connect the stat exit straight to the bulkhead/heater.

I put the 8v distribution on the back of the block mainly becasue it sealed better than the 16v plastic one but you could use either as they all the do the same thing. I think I got a end bung off the bx16v and stuck that on the side exit of the thermostat housing (near the coolant sensor).

M_R_205

if its of any use i cuta bit off aly to fit on the lathe and areldited it in as i cant weld, looks neat enough as its sloped down to match the casting ;)

Edited by M_R_205

Sign in to follow this