• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

R1 Carbs, Again

M_R_205

am i correct in thinking that the little brass nipple on the right hand side is for the dizzy vacume advance?

and also am i corrct in thinking there is no fuel return?

and my final point, how the hell am i ment to get the throttle cable in with my fat fingers!!! what a pain in the arse!!! :D hehe

cars almost ready to go just need a batery that my dad is going to get on his way home from work and im wetting myself with excitment :D

pic here if your intrested

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/IMG_0699.jpg

Edited by M_R_205

Richie-Van-GTi

from what I remember of mine brass nipple on side is a fuel overflow (return), there is nowhere to take a vac advance from on the actual carb.

jonand

[and my final point, how the hell am i ment to get the throttle cable in with my fat fingers!!! what a pain in the arse!!! :D hehe

Not too bad if you hold the throttle open and feed in the end of the cable with long nose pliers from the front.

By the way it looks nice - what ignition set up are you using?

Jon

M_R_205
from what I remember of mine brass nipple on side is a fuel overflow (return), there is nowhere to take a vac advance from on the actual carb.

hmm so i can either run at full advance, or can i take 2 feeds off the manifold? (different cylinders obviously)

M_R_205
[and my final point, how the hell am i ment to get the throttle cable in with my fat fingers!!! what a pain in the arse!!! :D hehe

Not too bad if you hold the throttle open and feed in the end of the cable with long nose pliers from the front.

By the way it looks nice - what ignition set up are you using?

Jon

the gti dizzy atm until i can afford something more fancie (and learn a bit more...)

PsychoSimon

you can take feeds off two inlet runners, providing theyare next to each other. ie use 1 and 2 or 3 and 4

M_R_205
you can take feeds off two inlet runners, providing theyare next to each other. ie use 1 and 2 or 3 and 4

thats good, can i ask why they have to be next to eachother? i know if i take it off one it will pulse and nack the dizzy somehow

welshpug

firing order is 1342, so ideally you want to use 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, if you use a sequencial pairing it ll give a strong pulse then nothing for 2 cycles, giving random advance!

PsychoSimon

my bad then, i always thought it was the other way rounnd. For example the nova sport had a vacuum advance plumbed into one carb, and the servo into the other carb. both dcoes and obviously on adjascent cylinders

Richie-Van-GTi

when you say inlet runners is this before or after the butterfly according to air flow direction? I ned to know as I want to get mine up and running with advance. Also wont it be better to have a feed from all 4 ports?

welshpug
when you say inlet runners is this before or after the butterfly according to air flow direction? I ned to know as I want to get mine up and running with advance. Also wont it be better to have a feed from all 4 ports?

after, i.e the bit where you get the vacuum.

a feed from all 4 would be ideal, plus feeding it through a damper of some sort is a good idea as well (factory fit dizzy's and S16/Mi16 ecu mounted Map sensors use them, they usually fall off by now though so not many people remember that they're used!)

jonand
after, i.e the bit where you get the vacuum.

a feed from all 4 would be ideal, plus feeding it through a damper of some sort is a good idea as well (factory fit dizzy's and S16/Mi16 ecu mounted Map sensors use them, they usually fall off by now though so not many people remember that they're used!)

I thought the 'damper' on the S16 was a vapour trap - as the feed comes from the plenum chamber and presumably doen't need damping ?

M_R_205

any one know where i could get hold of a dampper of some form, i rang pug today and it was a waste of a dinner half hour to say the least, no food and no furhter forward, however considerably more stressed lol!!

Sign in to follow this