• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
david932

Weber 50's On A Gti6

david932

would twin weber 50's and 60mm trumpets be to big on a gti6 running kms ignition ecu, 88mm crank, s16 pistons and peterts stage 2 inlet? would these just give top end power and a low torque figure?

Hilgie

They would be fine, but why put old technology on a new engine? The GTi6 is much better on bodies with proper management.

Furthermore how were you gonna arrange ignition as the GTi6 engine does not feature a distributor.

david932

reason i have chose carbs is to save a £1000+, i am going to ditch the ecu and run a kms igntion only ecu which takes readings from the tps so theres no need for a dizzy and an accurate advance curve can be set under every load. with this set up(if set up correctly) the same performance can be had from carbs as from itb's... she'll prob drink a fair bit more cruising tho :D

any idea if this will give a low torque output mid-range?

Edited by david932

zeolite

What size chokes you going to use in those 50s?

zeolite

Dave...that was the table I was going to refer to. :D

cheapthrills

just looking at that table, would a 40mm carb with 36mm choke work well on an MI running about 170bhp?

bearing in mind that my aim is improved mid range/tractability, rather than peak power at 7000

zeolite

I don't think you can get a 36mm choke in a 40mm carb. that is why you need weber/dellortos 45s

cheapthrills

i was just looking at a set on ebay and the guy claims they have 36mm, that doesnt make it true of course.

there is a diagram/chart that shows a 36mm on a 40 in the weber catalogue but its not too clear

midnight motorsport
i was just looking at a set on ebay and the guy claims they have 36mm, that doesnt make it true of course.

there is a diagram/chart that shows a 36mm on a 40 in the weber catalogue but its not too clear

hi yes you are right, 36 is the biggest you can run in a 40mm carb, or poss even 37mm? i will check, i was going to run 40s on my mi, its boarder line from a performance point, but me and my father think it should just about cope, low down power would be good, just a case of seeing what the top end would be,

But as i have now gone up a bit on engine mods iv opted for a set of 45s,

a good book i refer to is WEBER CARBURETTORS, by john passini,

hope this is of help

Sam

The gain of going from 34mm to 36mm choke is VERY minimal, no where near the gains of going from 32mm to 34mm and you can see why if you've had a DCOE 40 apart. The other "bits" restrict flow.

taffycrook

As sam has said and the flow bench proves this a 40 DCOE running 36mm chokes flows no more than a 34mm choke the biggest restriction now is the aux venturi. funny how weber only go up to 34mm isnt it.

People do turn them out to 36mm all they do is reduce fuel signal.

Richie-Van-GTi

Have you considered bike bodies instead of weber carbs? It is possible to fit bike bodies with standard 6 managemnet and have it remapped to work with the bodies using TPS and lambda. Will probably workl out similar or less cost than your current plan but ultimatley should give better gains and driveability.

david932

yes, i have seen a couple with this setup but running aftermarket ecu's but fo rsome reason they haven't seemed to give as good gains. there seems like alot of comlications modifying them to fit a 205, maybe this is why? i like the idea of something thats made to suit

Sign in to follow this