• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TEKNOPUG

Boost Leak

TEKNOPUG

My TT has lost around 3psi on full boost - which is annoying. Any ideas where to start looking for a boost leak (and how to check if I can't pressurise the system). Failing that, it could be a sticky actuator or fault with the diaphram I guess.

Another weekend spent hunting for power that is rightfully mine!

Edited by TEKNOPUG

pdd144c

Sure it's leaking Andy? Not a weak actuator? Thats what I'd check first, mine went a few times.

Malachy
Sure it's leaking Andy? Not a weak actuator? Thats what I'd check first, mine went a few times.

a quick test for leaks is the old soap sud test as used with gas bottles/lines etc.

just cover all joins with washing up liquid if it bubbles you got a leak :blink:

jim21070

Another rough test is to slip off the air filter and put the palm of your hand over the air intake to the turbo (with care :blush: ). You should be able to stall the engine at idle and feel one heck of a suck in doing so :blink:

If you value your hand, use a board or sheet or something that will give an air-tight seal!

Alex G

id check the actuator or see if the bleed valve has been moved.

if the turbo is capable enough it would maintain the correct boost even with a leak, unless it was a large leak in which case you would be able to hear the air gushing out- just rev the car, full throttle while you are looking over the bonnet and it should be more that apparant where the leak is.

p.s. dont hold full throttle once you get to the red line

TEKNOPUG

Bit of an update. Took the car back to my parents at the weekend and gave the car good thrashing along some familiar B-roads.

Pressure loss seems to have disappeared. I can get it up to 9spi (as opposed to 10psi stock) although it does take a little longer to get there, which Im putting down to the blowing exhaust manifold. Holds 5psi fine on low boost.

Will investigate further upon my return from the ring after Easter. Ive budgeted for a complete head rebuild, including having the head re-tapped for bigger 10mm studs to sort the blowing manifold and got a quote from Matt at QEP. Looks like Ill need to get it done sooner rather than later as its getting quite tappety low down now. Just having problems convincing myself to spend anymore money on it as driving in London is a futile exercise in burning petrol and destroying suspension components! All makes sense when you get out in the country though..

pugrallye

would check turbo for integrity if your are suffering pressure drop and lag (just compressor wheel though)

jim21070
I can get it up to 9spi (as opposed to 10psi stock) although it does take a little longer to get there, which Im putting down to the blowing exhaust manifold. Holds 5psi fine on low boost.

Even a tiny manifold leak will cause a loss of boost. Once that is sorted all will be well :)

Sign in to follow this