• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest javars

Bike Carbs..........loads Of Questions

Guest javars

Please forgive all the daft questions, have searched & grasped the basics but would like an answer all in one.

What happens to all the wiring you no longer need (just coil up for reuse if you ever change back ?)

Is it just a case of bolt on & run with the std ignition ?

Can you use a filter king with regulator to drop the fuel pressure using the std fuel pump ? What pressure does it need to be ?

What are the best carbs to use ? From what bike ?

Anyone got a known set up ? carbs, jetting, ign ?

I work at a bike dealers so hopefully parts should come fairly cheaply !

Any other advice would be very welcome.

BTW its a 1.9 Gti

ATB

Steve :lol:

hodgy

fuel pump- regards the fuel pump. you need to change the fuel pump cos if you leave the standard fuel pump on it will fire fuel straight out the carbs as the standard fuel pump is around 70psi and you need to lower it too 2-3psi. you might be able to get away with using 2 fuel regulators to lower it but i bought a FASET SILVER TOP fuel pump and used a filter king and its fine.

injector wires- i coiled them up put em in a bag and taped it up so they couldnt get wet

then all you have to do is bolt them on and drive away simple. you WILL have a few oil breather pipes left over so make a catch tank to point them into

hodgy

i think the best to use are R1 bike carbs and the best place to get them set up is bogg's bro's as there the daddys of it plus im guessing you dont have a manifold so you will have to get them to make you one up

205_sunderland

my car on r1 bodies uses a standard manfold chopped down although it looks tight

Guest javars
my car on r1 bodies uses a standard manfold chopped down although it looks tight

Cheers for replys, got any pics 205 Sunderland ?

Steve

205_sunderland

ill try get some engine came out of 306 (its an ally block thou) but i have it in now and it looks tight but will work think the 2 outer pipes on inlet are angled in thou thats only difference, but alot cheaper than buyin one, alot of people on here have access to large amount of money so i know what its like to try and work on a budget

i finishin it of this weekend so ill get some pic for ya ;)

Richie-Van-GTi

205 sunderland, yours are on a standard MI mani, the gti plenum cant be cut down this way. ;)

javars, you need 38-40mm carbs, Im using gsxr600 carbs, they are mikuni 38mm type with a bogg bros manifold. I bought a 1-5 psi 120 litres per hour pump and made a pick up for the tank to replace the standard pump. then have a pro flow adjustable regulator set at around 3psi. the carbs have been fitted with weber DGAS 175 main jets.

Ignition Ive got the standard dizzy and coil for now although I will be switching to mapped ignition when budget allows. Only just got the car running yesterday as I havent been working on it lately. Ive remade the full loom though but thats because Im using aftermarket gauge's etc. The standard loom should work fine, only niggle I found was the fuel pump wasnt priming, Im not sure if this was due to something removed or me just missing a wire that was blatently obvious. But its sorted now anyway :D

But basic advice is get a decent set of mikuni's as these accept weber DGAS jets. Jets are £8 for a set of 4 off ebay. Dont scrimp on the fuel pump, mine cost around £60 from car builder solutions and its a lot easier to mount than facet, plus its quieter ;)

also budget for a session on rollers so you can get the fueling right, you should be able to get it more or less bang on with rollers as the main jet needles have 5 height settings and the adjustbale reg also make a small difference.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

205_sunderland

well ya m8 who i got them off told me he angled them slightly inwards to allow bodies to sit closer to engine, glad he did now as there rather tight in gti set-up, just my car as a test piece and hopefully ill have no bother with them:) as i said ill get pics up over weekend

Edited by 205_sunderland

CaM

Am interested in this conversion also.

any of you guys got any picture of your setups? pm/email them to me if you'd rather they were kept form this thread

cheers

cam

Richie-Van-GTi

heres mine what you can see of it. Since the pics were taken I changed the carb spacing so they sit a bit closer on the manifold.

carb.jpg

carb1.jpg

CaM

thanks man!

any others would be mean too :)

Ole_1987
205 sunderland, yours are on a standard MI mani, the gti plenum cant be cut down this way. :D

javars, you need 38-40mm carbs, Im using gsxr600 carbs, they are mikuni 38mm type with a bogg bros manifold. I bought a 1-5 psi 120 litres per hour pump and made a pick up for the tank to replace the standard pump. then have a pro flow adjustable regulator set at around 3psi. the carbs have been fitted with weber DGAS 175 main jets.

Ignition Ive got the standard dizzy and coil for now although I will be switching to mapped ignition when budget allows. Only just got the car running yesterday as I havent been working on it lately. Ive remade the full loom though but thats because Im using aftermarket gauge's etc. The standard loom should work fine, only niggle I found was the fuel pump wasnt priming, Im not sure if this was due to something removed or me just missing a wire that was blatently obvious. But its sorted now anyway :D

But basic advice is get a decent set of mikuni's as these accept weber DGAS jets. Jets are £8 for a set of 4 off ebay. Dont scrimp on the fuel pump, mine cost around £60 from car builder solutions and its a lot easier to mount than facet, plus its quieter ;)

also budget for a session on rollers so you can get the fueling right, you should be able to get it more or less bang on with rollers as the main jet needles have 5 height settings and the adjustbale reg also make a small difference.

How much does a manifold at Bogg brothers cost? Do you have an email to the company, becuase i'm from Denmark.

Richie-Van-GTi

bogg bros manifolds go at around £170, shenpar also do them and they discount for members of here ;)

dont know bogg bros details, they are in york if you want to try searching out their contact details. Shenpar are listed in discounters list :D

max0
bogg bros manifolds go at around £170, shenpar also do them and they discount for members of here ;)

dont know bogg bros details, they are in york if you want to try searching out their contact details. Shenpar are listed in discounters list :D

http://www.boggbros.co.uk[

allanallen

best get your order in with bogg bros as they take months to make them ;)

Sign in to follow this