• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kenno

Welding My Own Short Shifter

Kenno

Hi Im working on the 405 welding the bracket that holds the door on & while I have the welder out I thought I might as well do my own short shifter,, I have the l bracket off the car & just want to know if some one can send me links of pictures of the l bracket so I know where best to cut n butt?? please I have been l;ooking n searchin but alas cant find any pics , only found out bout 15m to cut off.

Cheers.

Will be back in a mo as still sorting out the door in the nice sun.

sonofsam

www.205gti.com has a complete guide with pictures.

TEKNOPUG

They're great - until the weld snaps (usually in the middle of nowhere)....

taylorspug

Have a look through the pics in the link in my sig, i welded my own one up for my car. :)

Malachy
They're great - until the weld snaps (usually in the middle of nowhere)....

and why would the weld snap if welded correctly?

Ahl
and why would the weld snap if welded correctly?

It wouldn't...If welded correctly! :)

Malachy
It wouldn't...If welded correctly! :)

exactly :D

i mean i assume many people here have many traits i am fortunate enough to be a mechanical engineer and have also done a lot of welding and a few courses at stubs in warrington (although im not coded) i also have the nice advantage of having decent welding gear at home (selco genesis 240) which will do dc stick/ and dc tig with slope up down pulse etc etc only thing it does not have unfortunatly is ac for alu welding (although i can dc mma alu).

i just think its a bit harsh to assume it will snap because someone is going to weld it :) it will also mean future people who drag this thread up later (through the search function we preach) will assume it cant be done as it "will inevitably" snap etc

i mean i can remember when i was a kid and i blew a hole in the piston of an old moped i used to shoot about fields in (before i got a decent crosser) now my father stripped the engine down, welded up the hole, ground the weld flat,rebuilt the engine and it ran fine for a year until i scrapped it.

im not saying this is good practice at all but it worked perfectly fine.

Edited by Malachy

Malachy

sorry if i seem a bit ranty but threads liek this do become gospal a few years down the line.

plus its my time of the month :)

regards

andy

Edited by Malachy

Kenno

Cheers all, I did it n it feels much much better,& just got my new links to replace as well so should be well sweet.

As from next wknd Im working on my 205s n 405 changing engines & front set up off a 309 to go on my white 1.6ish so if any one about & fancy givin a hand i will supply the tea & grub.

Thanks all again

Sign in to follow this