• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Thomo206

What Engine

Thomo206

Alright

I have a 205 track car and its still running the 1.9 GTI I am looking at changing the engine shortly and was wondering if anyone has any experience what engine to go for as a track car?

I have three thoughts

1st Mi16 1.9 alloy block

2nd 2.0l 8v Turbo

3rd GTI-6

Has anyone had any of the above and if so what did they think for track use? Also where is the best places to look for an engine?

Cheers Thomo

smckeown

what about the s16/2.0 mi16 ? I see cookiemonster was selling a rather trick engine on here recently.

What sort of power are you looking for ? Are you concerned about engine weight ? (i.e gti6/s16 engines are regularly frowned on by some; not all; in that respect)

You'll find loads of engine discussion topics on the forum, i'd get reading first.

Also there are plenty of engine rebuild threads, with resultant power and comments about the engine builder ;)

Edited by smckeown

Miles

There are allot of old 8v Race engine's around at the moment which are very good value, all produce the other side of 180bhp with ease and very reliable, other than that have a seach as Sean's said and you'll be bogged down with all the info

Batfink

Miles does Gareth still have his 8v race engine for sale. That must be pushing out a few ponies

ak 205

hi having similar thoughts myself my thoughts on the situation

1st Mi16 1.9 alloy block - just knackered my engine up from doing cadwell may be down 2 bad servicing on my behalf causing the so called oil surge syptom

2nd 2.0l 8v Turbo - high under bonnet temps , extra piping for intercooler & exhaust piping bit awkward, but fun when got it right

3rd GTI-6 - not really thought bout them , possibly complex wiring, but work well on throttle bodies & aftermarket management ( how much money could it cost)

4th tune the 1.9gti engine - the way i may be going with carbs & bit of head work , upgraded cam & a 1.6box with LSD

Thomo206

Cheers guys I have started reading posts and once I have decided on the engine I will do all the research.

I was more meaning has anyone had an MI engine then changed to an 8v turbo and if so what did they prefer for track use?

Cheers Thomo

smckeown
I was more meaning has anyone had an MI engine then changed to an 8v turbo and if so what did they prefer for track use?

Nah I doubt you'll find anyone that made that move, wouldnt make sense really.

If you are thinking alloy mi16 then expect at least to shell out on a mini bottom rebuild and the introduction of the petert wet sump solution.

petert

Nothing beats a naturally aspirated engine on throttle bodies for instant response. A turbo might sound impressive but getting 200hp to the ground from a N/A engine, and making use of it, is no easy task. Finding a worthy alloy 16V for the job is a hard ask. Most are well past their prime, meaning you'd have to spend a lot on reco'ing to get it up to spec. You're much better off looking for a low mileage S16 or GTi6 engine. That way you also get most of the oil control parts necessary to keep it all together.

Thomo206

I know where I might be able to get an MI with 50k on the clock, full service history and the owner is a mechanic.

Sign in to follow this