• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TKH

Xu & Ew Box Interchangeable?

TKH

Hello,

I was just wondering if the gearboxs from the XU and EW range of engines were interchangeable? I have done a few searches on GTI180 and EW and see that there clutch and shift actuation is very different. But can you physically bolt them on?

Many thanks

PsychoSimon

i dont think so as the EW engines sit at a different angle to an xu

TKH

I was thinking not too. I may just have to get a box and see if I can rip it apart. I really just want a rod shift mechanical clutch gearbox on a EW engine.

Hilgie

The box itself is the same just BE3/4.

But the flywheelhousing on the box is different (15 degree vs 30 degree) so you can not swap a box over.

@TKH: where are you using it for?

TKH

Its a 106 cup setup. So its basically a TU engine running a BE gearbox. I was hoping to start running in the 2ltr class with a EW engine. But I was not wanting to have to change the gearbox (just the final drive) or have to change over to cable gear shift or hydraulic clutch. May just have to get a alloy MI16 and get bigger liners and pistons.

Hilgie

but the Mi16 does not fit that gearbox either.

Best option is the EW engine with its BE4 gearbox and swap the internals of your BE Cup box over.

TKH

I still have a XU bell housing, so just thought I could use that. But I did not realise I could swap the internals in to the newer gearbox. That sounds the best option. Should not be to hard to sort the clutch and cable shift out. Many thanks Hilgie.

Sign in to follow this