• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DTORU

Intercooler Pipework Help Again!

DTORU

Got the pipe work sorted and intercooler work great only trouble is when i hit 22-25 psi the blood pipe joiner gives in and pops off seperating the to joined pipes and casuing me to loose all the boost. any ideas on how to curee this problem??

Was thinking of roughing up the bit on the pipes were the joiners sits as the pipes are highly polished and theres not mush grip, ive double clamped the pipes but this still dont work.

HELP!! gets rearly anoying.

Thanks

DTORU

inferno

i had trouble running 14psi on a petrol engine pipework, so good luck:P

you could try bonding, or double flaring the metal pipes?i have a flareing tool that works on upto 3 inch pipe

sonofsam

Yes you want swaged pipework imo or get a ring of weld on it.

swaged_tubes.jpg

Edited by sonofsam

DTORU
Yes you want swaged pipework imo or get a ring of weld on it.

swaged_tubes.jpg

What about removing the joiner and welding the to pipe together???

If not i think the flaring tool sounds like a good idea!

Thanks

DTORU

sonofsam

Yes you could weld all the metal pipe work together, but will you not still have silicon joiners for the intercooler.

Pipe swaging kits looks very expensive too me, machine's to do it are even more so. We do swaged ends by hand on metal spinning lathes using undersize tools and swaging wheels, if you knew of any local companys,

they could probably do it for you.

miamistu

How about smearing some silicone sealant around the inside of the pipes before making the joint so that they're bonded together with a nice surface areay joint :)

Could perhaps rough up the bit of polished pipe that's not seen first to aid the bond.

inferno

slightly non related, check out rover 220 turbo intercooler pipe, its an s bend perfect for grill mounted cossie intercoolers and £70ish in samco with a iscv take off:O

sonofsam

I dont think you can really substitute a swage :) . IIRC jonhrobertgordon had glued on pipes, wich did indeed blow off!

Grez4

I used to have this problem, get the welder out or get someone to do it for you, increase the size of the weld to the point at which its just short of a nightmare to get the hose on the all should be good.

It is indeed a scary experience when all boost suddenly dissapears - I thought I had a major failure till I stuck my head under the bonnet. :)

Edited by Grez4

DTORU

Right ive flared out the pipe ends and its sorted the pipes poping out the joiners but now i have a new problem the joiners are exploding!!!! any ideas????

Thanks

DTORU

sonofsam

What are the joiners made from ?

pugrallye

sounds like you need 5 ply silicon hosing or something similarly stiff, or a shed load of cable ties to strap the original hosing down and prevent it from blowing out under boost lol

Sign in to follow this