• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Be Cwp Swap

skinner2k3

Hi

Is it possible to swap the CWP from a 1900 Lift reverse (BE1?) gearbox into a 1600 gearbox with reverse under 5th (BE3?)? I have the 1600 box fitted to a 1900 engine and would like to stretch the gears out a bit.

I think I have a knackered drive shaft so as I will need to drain the box anyway, I thought it would be a good time to do it.

Is there a guide/article for swapping CWPs?

Thanks

Ben

Miles

Yes you can swap any 5 speed CWP in any BE box, I think Taffytim posted a link with pic's on this, or there might be one on the main site.

Or if you get stuck give me a call

skinner2k3

I thought so, is it a particularly difficult job to do with the gearbox fitted?

I had a quick search on Taffytim and CWP and couldnt find anything. I will see what the Haynes manual says.

Cheers

Miles

The box needs to come off and it's a full strip and rebuild, The output shaft may need a very heavy duty puller/press as the bearing's can be a right pain to remove and other's are very easy.

I'd say it's easy but I can do them in my sleep, Other people have tried and failed, but the joke book cover's this pretty well if the earlier version

skinner2k3

:D

You know, all of a sudden I think maybe a closer gearbox would be better :unsure:

Thanks for the info guys, but thats a bit beyond me I think.

Ben

sorr

I would get Miles to do it, he did mine and he is not expensive :).

In my opinion it is not worth the touble to do it yourself if you are not sure what you are doing. Given you would probably only find out if you have made a mistake once it is on the car, so more time wasted if the box needs to come off.

skinner2k3

The last time I drove the car it was a 1600 with PAS, I havent driven it since the 1900 engine/1600 box, and no PAS has been in there, so I dont yet know how it drives. If I do decide I want it changing I will go to Miles or just stick the 1900 box back on!

Cheers guys

Sign in to follow this