• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dead205

Mp3.1, As288 Cam And Bv Stage3 Head

dead205

Thought Id give a write up of where Im at with the cherry 205 and how I got there.

Get ready for a novel:

I've been dying to get the car back on the road after selling the original 1.6 engine to Graham (pugtorque).

The car has been levitating 4 inches off the floor since the end of summer:

DSC01855WinCE.jpg

My original intention was to put a fairly standard 1.9 engine into the car. I've had a fully rebuilt 1.9 bottom end in my dining room for about 3 years (from my first 205)- to the wifes dismay I may add B) . This was supposed to be just reconned and placed back into it's owner - a silver e-reg, anyway that car went to the scrappers after I realised the rust had gone too far.

Like a lot of us I decided a little more power might be needed so back in the day I sent the cam away to Autosprint in Birmingham to have a fast road profile ground and also ordered 8 new followers and oversize shims. These have also been in the dining room for about 3 years (more complaints from wife) :D

Well since having built the block up and ordering the 270-degree "fast road" cam several things have changed:

I now own a further 3 205 gti's:

A black 205 mi16, Maxi's old gti-6 engined Cti and of course the 1.6 cherry red.

I have had 3 years worth of reading god knows how many posts and topics here on the forum and have also gained shed loads of knowledge from forum members. Not counting the rise of my experience from working with these cars - admittedly I know how to dismantle one better than I know how to put one back together but thats slowly changing! :)

I also got 3 track days under my belt last year and saw how quick a well-modified car can really move around a track.

The mi16 and the Gti-6 cars have made me realise what it means to have a quick car and combined with info gained over the years I had to admit to myself that a standard 1.9 wasn't going to cut it.

The plan hatched in my brain to get a motronic mp3.1 setup on the car and map it to suit my autosprint cam. Bit more drivability and maybe a few horses extra!

I set out on a search for a suitable donor car - to no avail. I have loads of scrappers near me and went for weeks on end with my list of suitable cars. Nothing. :(

I trawled ebay, Nothing. :(

A few came up for sale on here, Sold before I could reply. :(

2 months later and the local rag list a 1.9 volcane - Result! :P

I picked the car up 2 weeks ago and Me and Graham had the engine out in a couple of hours - I have my motronic and Graham went away smiling with the gearbox and trailing arms. Also turns out the rev meter will be suitable to transplant into the 205. :D

A couple of days later and trawling through the many posts on here I stumble across that BOOMBANG may have a cam for sale. A week later and a vernier and 288 degree autosprint regrind come through the door(Thanks Alex). More power, yippee. Maybe interesting to see if the motronic can handle it though.

The head that I had planned to mate to the reconned block looked like it'd had some port matching of some sort in the past. This worried me a bit considering how it seems bad porting can lose power.

I decided I wanted to get it checked but most of the well-respected 205 "in the know" companies are down south (QEP, PUMA, XSPORT and others - too many to list).

Anyhow I've had some really good reports from a local engine reconditoner/builder in Whitworth called Impulse Developments. So off I went with the head under my arm - the owner Adrian really knows his stuff, I like to think I can now spot car bulls*it from 40 paces and he doesn't talk any, really straight forward stuff. Well we get chatting and he agrees to fit me some new guides, 3 angled seats, lighten and balance the flywheel and have a look at the porting job that was done. So we leave it at that.

With the days passing and the new large cam in my possession I had a little voice in the back of my brain nagging - the head wont do it justice, the head wont do it justice!!

Well another call to Impulse and Adrian. What can he do for me? An hour later and we've agreed on 43mm inlet valves and a full gas flow and polish plus the 3 angle seats, new guides increased CR etc.

A quick call to Matt at QEP and 4 new inlet valves popped through the letterbox this morning. Thanks for answering all the questions too Matt (Well recommended to all who havent dealt with QEP).

My jobs now are plumb in the motronic loom, tidy up the engine bay and deal with some rust thats set in. Oh and strip my gearbox to make sure its usable.

When it's all together the car will be going to Wayne at chipwizards for mapping (well respected rollers I believe) - for me this is going to be really interesting to see whether the local man can come through and deliver with a really useable product. It's been well documented that power is hard to get out of the 8v head but I'm putting my money on the line to see if he can do it!!

If your in the north and struggling to find a good engine man check out the website and give him a ring - you might be surprised.

Impulse Developments

Will update you (pictures to follow) to see if Im going to be surprised or disappointed - got a good feeling about this one though. :D

Mark

Edited by dead205

Sign in to follow this