• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyman

Quick Shift Gear Linkages

rallyman

Im sorting out the sloppy gear shift linkages and while I'm at it Im going to modify the "L" shaped braket - extend it, is there a recomended length to extend it by??? and if so how much??? I will be "reworking" my one as I need to keep costs down :)

Cheers

Michael

Miles

Not sure but a search might bring up something, If you need a new ball for this just drop me a PM as I have loads of these as left over's

sonofsam

I've made a few of these now, and I usually knock out the ball (on the shortest leg of the lever), by grinding the weld of the bottom and punching it out with a punch&hammer, then I redrill the hole 15-20mm inwards ( depending on how 'short' you want it ) and re-insert the ball with pin intact and put a tack of weld again on the ball pin.

Works everytime, no need to cut and shut that way.

M_R_205
Im sorting out the sloppy gear shift linkages and while I'm at it Im going to modify the "L" shaped braket - extend it, is there a recomended length to extend it by??? and if so how much??? I will be "reworking" my one as I need to keep costs down :)

Cheers

Michael

what i did is cut about 10mm off the short bit, and weld it to the longer bit, so shortening the short bit by 10 and extending the long bit by 10, was a total shot in the dark but is perfect i think

rallyman

Mmmmm MANY THANKS! I'll be attacking it this weekend! :unsure:

Edited by rallyman

blackpug

Anyone got any pics of this operation as i fancy giving it a go but dont want to risk getting it wrong!

sonofsam
Anyone got any pics of this operation as i fancy giving it a go but dont want to risk getting it wrong!

There is a guide here http://www.205gti.com/

Sign in to follow this