• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Exhaust Angling Plate

205_sunderland

i made me own plate at work bout 20mm think and made it angled from corner to corner so should be more than enough, cnc'd the port's for better accuracy(with a little help fom me mate at work because i not quite fully trained on them yet) , the only thing i was woundering was if it would be best to clamp it to the manifold and plate together and grind ports in flush and drill and tap two holes to with countersinks to locate in the correct place all the time?, and i was going to use two gaskets, anyone shed some lite please as i want to car done asap now:)

regards michael

jimbean

hello there

what metal u used to make it?

could you not mig or tig it so it becomes part of the manifold

205_sunderland

it ally so doubt it can be welded to mild steel?

Edd-XS

If one side is machined flat the you can probably get away without using a gasket if its going against the block.

Ive used one of matts plates and its a brilliant idea, but my god is it a pain in the arse trying to balance manifold, angling plate, gasket and sealant everywhere as you put it on! Attatching it to the manifold is deff a good idea I reckon. 20mm sounds abt too steep though if you ask me? Mine was probably half that and its cleared the bulkhead No problems.

Edd

205_sunderland

well i didnt know how much so i went for 15 degree roughly i think which is corner to corner so as long as it clears ill be happy:)

Edited by 205_sunderland

sorr
Ive used one of matts plates and its a brilliant idea, but my god is it a pain in the arse trying to balance manifold, angling plate, gasket and sealant everywhere as you put it on!

It is really easy if you do it the same way I did. Put sealant on the plate and bolt it to the head, torque to the correct settings. Wipe the sealant off the ports, leave sealant to go tacky. Then remove the bolts (the plate will stay on due to the tack sealant) and on with the manifold and gasket.

Hope this helps and it also ensures any excess sealant will not block the ports. :blink:

205_sunderland

could be on the cards:)

205_sunderland

can sealent withstand the heat though?

welshpug

if its exhaust sealant yup!

205_sunderland

sounds like a plan then:)

davev

just to add. when i did it i got two of the old manifold bolts took the nuts off and used them as a guide for the angle plate and manifold to sit on.

worked a treat as i went down the two gasket route and just couldnt balance all of them on the new bolt and locate it in the head at the same time.

petert

Use Loctite Copper Maxx for the sealant and don't forget you'll need tapered washers to match the angle, otherwise you'll be continually doing up nuts in awkard places. I sell tapered washers and longer studs as part of my wedge kits.

205_sunderland

i think i may make sum ill see how it goes

Sign in to follow this