• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Dizzy Adapter For Mi16 On Carbs?

matt-k

Ive just had a look at the mi16 twin carb conversion on this site and it says i need the dizzy adapter and a 1.9 gti distributor. I was under the impression you only needed that to run with the standard gti ecu. This is my first engine swap but could someone please tell me why i cant just use the standard Mi16 distributor as im ditching the ecu and using twin webbers? :)

Thanks, Matt

welshpug

because the mi16 doesnt have a "dizzy" as such, only a cap and rotor to distribute the spark IIRC, hence the need for the adapter to use the 8v unit.

Hilgie

Yep...cause if you ditch the ECU, you won't have any spark...hence using the old 8V dizzy, rotor and cap to get some sparkies :)

jonnie205

Yep it is not possible to keep the ecu to run spark either cos ecu relies on the AFM and throttle position to work out spark timing, obviously it very hard to make this setup work with carbs although i have seen it done on a bx16v

matt-k

Of course! Ive had another look at the engine tonight and cant believe i didnt spot that myself :ph34r:

Once again you lot have proved to be valuble allies :D

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this