• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Mi Flywheels

boldy205

Hi, is it possable (or worth it) to have these lugs removed or is there another flywheel i could fit without these marks? just thinking of lightening the flywheel a bit.

Many thanks

Matt.

petert
Hi, is it possable (or worth it) to have these lugs removed or is there another flywheel i could fit without these marks? just thinking of lightening the flywheel a bit.

Many thanks

Matt.

Yes you can machine the Motronic teeth off if you don't need them and also take material out of the back.

boldy205

ok thanks, can i fit the 1.6 GTI fly wheel? i have been told its an 'upgrage' as its lighter? but surely smaller diameter, so smaller clutch and therefore not worth it? am i wrong? :)

pug_ham

The standard Mi flywheel weighs between those of the 8v ones (6.7kg compared to 7kg 1.9 & 6kg 1.6) but these have a smaller clutch plate as you say, 200mm & Mi has 215mm but the overall size of the flywheel is the same.

Graham.

welshpug

I know that a 215mm clutch wont go on an 8v fly, but how about the other way round?

8v clutch on a 215mm fly?

pug_ham
I know that a 215mm clutch wont go on an 8v fly, but how about the other way round?

8v clutch on a 215mm fly?

It'll fit but I think you'd have to use the 215mm cover so its not worth it.

If your using the Mi flywheel you might as well use the right sized clutch for it.

What engine is this for anyway?

Graham.

welshpug

8v, but the fly I'm considering may well come with a 1.9 Mi clutch unit anyway so I guess this will work in my be1 gearbox?

pug_ham

:) I didn't mean you Meirion, I was asking matt. (boldy205). :D

It'll work with the Be1 gearbox as long as you use the be1 release bearing afaik.

Graham.

boldy205

Its a 1.9 MI onto a BE3 box. so it prob not going going to fit, its loosing 0.7kg tho, surely this is worth it? is it poss to use the 1.6 fly just machine the face where the clutch contacts? Or is this a bit of a bodge?!

boldy205

ooops sorry ignore the last comment!

Just looked at my fly and seems this is not possable!!

pug_ham

If you are running with Mi mangement then you need the Mi flywheel for the CAS / timing ring gear. The 8v flywheel & clutch will fit & work if you are using carbs though.

Any size flywheel from the 8 or 16v will fit inside the Be1 or Be3 gearbox housing the same. Only the ones from the newest Pugs with a 230mm clutch might not but I've never tried.

Graham.

boldy205

thanks for the replies. just going to keep it as is for now then!

Sign in to follow this