• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sejo

Camshaft Mi16

Sejo

Hi,

I´ve read here a lot postings about good, bad, recommended etc. sport camshafts for mi16 engine. Well

I´ve decided to go for some for my xu9j4z Mi16. But the question is which one is the best for my slightly modified engine.

Allready done:

- Skimmed head 0,2mm

- copper head gasket 0,8 mm = Actual comp. ratio???

- pulley no. 2 on inlet and outlet

- bigger TB from Citroen XM 2.0i

As I said, I´ve read here abut some camshaft from catcam, which schould be fine.

What´s your advice according to done mods so far on my engine (max lift, valve clearence etc.)?

Big thx

Sejo

PS no aftermarket ecu or else, std mi16 ecu, pulleys, etc..

petert

CR will be approx. 10.4:1. Use my Stage I regrind on the inlet with a #3 pulley. Leave exhaust standard.

DrSarty on here has just a similar thing. Ask him what he thinks.

Edited by petert

Rik

My engine will be similar to yours sejo, i cant really offer any advice but would be interested to see what DrSarty thinks of Petert's regrind.

Peter - can you supply the #3 pulleys?

Rik

petert
Peter - can you supply the #3 pulleys?

I might have one spare, or can supply offset keys which do the same thing.

DrSarty

OK - I knew there would be others out there doing similar things to their Mi's, which I would basically sum up as "budget, safe, predictable" power modifications FOR ROAD USE! The last bit is important. I may go an a track but for fun, NOT for competition; it is still my road car.

As for my car, the result is I am VERY happy. I'm not a rolling road/graph person, BUT, if the opportunity comes up locally I will have it done. The fact that I'm pleased with it and can seriously notice the difference is all that ever mattered to me, and it all started in my thread "Mi16 Myths". You should search for it and read it as that's where I learnt a lot.

I also used the 'myth' thread info to come up with a plan. PeterT's maturity and straight talk impressed me enough to commit to him (read: have faith), and send my inlet cam from the UK to Sydney Australia over the Christmas period. He also helped me with PM's and e-mails advising me on other matters like refurbing the hydraulic lifters. In a nutshell I committed to him and he committed service and proven (important that) experience to me.

My choice (and my efforts don't forget out in the cold losing my knuckles) has paid off. PeterT is not unique. It is very likely that QEP could/would give similar great service, and the Catcam inlet cam could likewise produce similar results. From PeterT's advice, he said his reprofile was more aggressive than Kent's & Piper's, and the acknowldgement of the engineering expertise in the Catcam product is widespread on this forum.

My cam was still only away for about 2 weeks, and I put offset woodruff keys (supplied by PeteT also) into my cams to advance the timing. I don't know if the same is achieved by using no. 3 pullies?

So if you want statistical results you'll have to wait. I might run it on a 1/4 at Santapod because to me that's more indication of real performance than a graph from spin up on a RR. Ofcourse that is not meant as a criticism for those who do as I understand a RR day is essential for mapping and tuning when your car has a mappable ECU; mine hasn't.....yet.

In summary, it's great. It was worth the effort and drives so easy on the road. It idles as standard (smooth for me) and pulls and pulls and pulls.......and then goes AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH. What I did I recommend. My costs: head £200 - maniflow £200 - cam regrind/gasket & keys £190 (cheaper than Catcam - sorry Mattsav) - odds & sods (new cam belt blah blah) £100 = circa £700.

Put what you do on here - I/we'd like to know.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

petert
- Skimmed head 0,2mm

- copper head gasket 0,8 mm = Actual comp. ratio???

I'd actually use a 0.5mm gasket given it's an XU9J4Z.

nunoserrano

Hi i have done the same thing as you (DrSarty) send my cam to petert but unfor never fit it and since i couldntsale it i would fit it on my engine im rebulding but as you say petert he is a honest person and he knows what is talking about

DrSarty
Hi i have done the same thing as you (DrSarty) send my cam to petert but unfor never fit it and since i couldntsale it i would fit it on my engine im rebulding but as you say petert he is a honest person and he knows what is talking about

If I understand what you said there, then I gather you have a PeterT reprofiled cam sitting there FOR SALE. I would hope someone will be PMing you pretty quick to buy it off you because I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend it.

Alternatively, pull your finger out lad and get it in your motor...sharpish!

Rich

P.S. Kyepan....if you read this as you've been in my Mi since, perhaps you'll comment on how it seems to perform?

zeolite

Are those copper gaskets reuseable?

petert
Are those copper gaskets reuseable?

As many times as you like. After a few installs they work harden however and need to be re-annealed.

Sign in to follow this