• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Gti6 Lock

mos

hi,

can anyone tell me how much lock you actually loose on powersteering equiped 205 1.9gti by fitting the gti6 box

i.e is it half a turn, a full turn, one and a half turns that sort of thing

considering fitting one but this will be the deciding factor, if i can live with the lost lock etc

if someone can tell me i can drive around for a bit "pretending" i have one fitted and the loss of lock

also i am unclear which way lock in affected is it when turning right or left when sat in the driving seat

thanks

mark

j_turnell

Having driven one i deffinetly wouldnt fit one, its terrible in my opinion, not sure on the amount lost but its a fair bit.

inferno

hmmm i fitted one to my zx turbo, and i lost a little bit of lock, i noticed the tyres just scrubbing the box, mot failure untill the rack is modded to stop it. i got used to it but on a 205 i would think the loss is quite nasty, maybe half a turn at a guess.

however i loved the gearbox's performance with the turbo engine, mainly the 6th gear. im going to try a td 205 box this time though.

welshpug

not 100% on how much longer the 6 box is as I still havent got round top measiring the one in the shed, but on my 205 the tyre rubs on the end casing of the standard 5 speed unit so I doubt youll want the 6 unit in there unless you fit a wide track kit!!!

16v205

Personally I find you have to think a little when encountering mini islands and parking with the 6 spd box, you lose a bit of lock but its really not so bad that you should dismiss using the gearbox.

You take the same approach to turning tight rights as you would do driving a longer vehicle like a sprinter van.

I run mine with 15mm hubcentric spacers and a 2.4 turn quickrack. I lose at worst 1/4 a turn of lock so I guess it would equate to roughly just over half turn on a normal stearing rack?

5 mins driving down the road and you'll forgive the lack of lock, I wont be putting a 5 spd gearbox on my 205 again. Infact ive another 6 spd gearbox to go on my gf's 205 mi16 cause she wants one :blush:

Rich

Daz_C
5 mins driving down the road and you'll forgive the lack of lock, I wont be putting a 5 spd gearbox on my 205 again. Infact ive another 6 spd gearbox to go on my gf's 205 mi16 cause she wants one :blush:

Rich

I've had one on mine since day dot and agree with the above comment. Give it a short time and it will come to you naturally what turns are going to be undoable. Which are very few to be honest. Theres NOT a bend on a road that I've been on that you can't turn through. The only major problem is parking but you soon suss that out and turning into junctions just cut the corner slightly or take it abit wider and your through . I will check tonight how much you loose unless someone else does before hand but I think off the top of my head its around quarter to half a turn but I would have to check.

Note: I've not modded the rack at all to stop the wheel rubbing the side of the box and have never had any issue with that at any MOT station I have been too. I have swapped the end plate screws and adapted for countersunk screws because not long after I fitted the box the tyre rubbing the end turned one of the screws out and it consiquently went through the side of the tyre :D But that was on 16"'s.

I find it to be a super box and as Rich wouldn't go to a 5speed again.

Edited by Daz_C

Batfink

great box for use on the road. But I was scared to go in a multistory as I didnt think I would be able to get out

fletch

Tight multistoreies can be a problem, as well as mini roundabouts. In a 205 i imagine the lock would be hell. Id only recommend it for a track only car.

mos

i appreciate all the advice but does anyone actually know how much they have lost and just confirm its when turing right only

if someone could tell me it is say a quarter of a turn out of 1 and half turns etc on either a p/s or non p/s car as i could workout as a percentage how much i will loose and apply that to mine car, that would be really useful as then i could "see" for myself if its something i could live with by "pretending on the road.

one issue i would have is the car park at work and also my cul de sac could possibly present problems, i.e turning on the driveway etc

thanks

mark

Batfink

to be honest i never measured as to me the exact amount was meaningless. Basically if you like small twisty roads this is a no no. If you drive open a roads and track then its great

maxi

You lose 1/4 of a turn. Ran one for 6months.

Maxi

Mattsav

I've driven Maxi's and its not too bad.

But I found with the 6 speed box you just spend all the time changing gear.

The final straw for Maxi's box was when we both cam off the same RR, mine with 20bhp less but I could still happily sit behind him all the way to 120mph so there didn't seem much point to having the 6 speed box

With your engine you can afford to run a longer 5 speed box as torque is not an issue.

A 1.9 box would suit it quite nicely or speak to miles and see what he can put together for you.

mos
I've driven Maxi's and its not too bad.

But I found with the 6 speed box you just spend all the time changing gear.

The final straw for Maxi's box was when we both cam off the same RR, mine with 20bhp less but I could still happily sit behind him all the way to 120mph so there didn't seem much point to having the 6 speed box

With your engine you can afford to run a longer 5 speed box as torque is not an issue.

A 1.9 box would suit it quite nicely or speak to miles and see what he can put together for you.

yor right the torque the engine has it doesn't hang around with the 1.9 box but i defo think its in-gear progress could be improved and perhaps there is a better option "off the shelf" and seeing as i have a mi16 box lying around i think i am going to take maxi advice and give it ago

i will knock the gti 6 box idea on the head for now as i would have to buy one anyway and they can be quite pricey and then i have got to mess around with cables for reverse and the gear lever in the car etc...

the reason i was initially enquiring about a gti6 box was that as far as i can tell its basically a 1.6 box 1st-5th and 6th is a 1.9 5th or there abouts which seemed the best of both worlds

the main reason i want to try something with shorter gears is although it does go well with the 1.9 box it does feel like at times your waiting for the engine to come on cam as the car works up through the rev range with the long gears and the gears feel quite widely spaced.

i think it would rev through the range quicker with a mi16 box or even a 1.6 box but the 1.6 box 5th would probably annoy me on the motorway, it does in my 8v. but i think the mi16 5th is quite close to a 1.9 5th if a little shorter

perhaps the most important factor is my girlfriend can get of the lights slightly quicker in the 8v with 1.6 box and quaiffe diff and that will never do!!!

but then i catch her up at about 40mph as the engine comes on cam in first gear and a lot of that seems to be the 1.9 long first gear, the diff does help her as well!!

apart from my male pride taking a knocking it does seem to show there room for improvement on my s16 engined car

so as a result i am definately having the diff in the s16 engined car so i think while i am at it a shorter box is also the order of the day

thanks

mark

Guest BrainFluid
perhaps the most important factor is my girlfriend can get of the lights slightly quicker in the 8v with 1.6 box and quaiffe diff and that will never do

Ha ha :D I rekkon its the quaiffe diff thats causing that little embarresment tho', no?!

Sign in to follow this