• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edd-XS

Mi Coolant Pipes, What Where?

Edd-XS

DSC01609.jpg

On this pic, im assuming part B. is the return from the top of the rad, and D. goes round to the heater matrix, but, what about the other 3? I never really saw this engine before it went off to be rebuilt so piecing it all back togethers abit tricky!

I have done a search but found nothing conclusive. Im not running a cooler yet either as my GTi one was knackered. Also as im typing a thread out, whats the point of the pipe that runs along the back of the rocker cover?

Edd

dee205

Try this

16coolant.gif

The metal pipe at the back is a bypass to the heater matrix on the 405. There's no real need for it and can be blocked off or used otherwise.

You can block the water/oil heat exchange pipes pipes to if you're not using one.

Damien

Ryan

A = Water oil cooler. If you're not using it then blank off or use the 205 cover which doesn't have this pipe.

B = Rad

C = Throttle body, but can be blanked off if you want.

D = This is the proper connection for the heater, but it doesn't really matter. Either use D and blank off E, or the other way round.

E = Normally connected to the metal water pipe on the back of the head. Most people remove it though and blank off this pipe.

Normski

A. To oil heat exchanger.

B. To top of rad

C. To throttle body

D. To inside heater

E. To metal pipe that runs along the back of the head and then down to the coolant distribution block.

Edd-XS

lol thanks guys! Sounds like I can blank all of them off then really? What can I use to blank them, bit of old hose and some jubilee clips with something bunged in the end?

Why does water go through the throttle body...?

Edd

James_m

You only need to block off D, then just use the 8v thermostat plastic housing. If you havent already, get the 8v distribution block on there too, as it has 1 less outlet.

jackherer
Why does water go through the throttle body...?

To prevent the throttle icing up. A lot of people (including me) disconnect it as its not necessary really and its two less pipes that wont leak.

5150maxie
DSC01609.jpg

On this pic, im assuming part B. is the return from the top of the rad, and D. goes round to the heater matrix, but, what about the other 3? I never really saw this engine before it went off to be rebuilt so piecing it all back togethers abit tricky!

I have done a search but found nothing conclusive. Im not running a cooler yet either as my GTi one was knackered. Also as im typing a thread out, whats the point of the pipe that runs along the back of the rocker cover?

Edd

is pipe E an 8v one or have you cut the mi16 one?

Ryan

It's the original heater pipe. On later models they have an extra 90 degree bend on the very end and will line up with point D more easily than E.

Sign in to follow this