• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Attn Ppl With Atb Quaiffe Diff's

Dixon

Does any of your ATB Quaiffe diff's make a grinding or knocking noise that can be heard from inside the car?

I've got a rotational knocking noise coming from my 205 that started after changing my gearbox over with one fitted with an ATB Quaiffe diff.

It sounds really bad and I've got a track day booked for sat and don't know if it's wise to go out?

Shafts are less than a year old too so guessing it couldn't be those.

boombang

Never ever heard any noise from a Quaife ATB in any application.

Best check the diff bearings.

pdd144c

Bearings should be good, they were brand new when Miles fitted them.

Dixon

Thought as much as it didn't sound like it before I went to Cadwell in December and when I put a bar on it and to my ear I couldn't hear anything wrong.

Just running out of ideas of what it could be and trying to check every angle and possability!

Hilgie

Did you flip the crownwheel to the other side when fitting it maybe? That could cause it.

Miles

Never come across this before, I guess you bought Pauls old box? but as with anything mechanical they can go wrong even thou its quite rare for it to happen, worth rechecking everything to rule them out

Matt Holley

I think he has sorted this now, it wasnt the box thankfully but it was a very weird and hard to trace noise :D

kate205gti

what was it in the end?? :D my quaife has never made a noise and has been in and out 4 times lol :) but curious now :lol:

Dixon

Very strange indeed.

The only other thing I've changed recently is the brake pads (fitted 1155's before Cadwell track day in Dec)

So removed the brakes and ran it up...

... no knocking!

Hmm, made sure everything was ok on them and put them back on.

Started it up and the knocking was back!

So changed back to the crappy road pads that I had before fitting the Mintex's and it's all fine.

Went to Combe on sat and ran with these pads instead, well early braking required compared to the 1155's! lol

Sooo, any ideas???

Batfink

wrong pads? need a different retaining clip?? just the noise of hard pads?

taylorspug

What brakes are you running?

Dixon

Gti-6 brakes with Mintex 1155 pads.

Sign in to follow this