• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest davetibbs

16v Head On 2.0 8v Turbo Block

Guest davetibbs

OK, I have my 2.0 8v turbo engine that I want more power out of. I also have a head off the Citroen equivalent of the S16 engine (well, it had the same inlet manifold :)).

We know that the oil/waterways etc on the 16v head match up with the 8v turbo engine.

We also know that the 8v turbo engine has a threaded hole for the second tensioner.

But what else needs to be considered to actually get an engine that will run?

Does CR come into it? I must admit to knowing very little about compression ratios generally. Is anyone able to explain any changes (essentially in CR) that might happen if I fit the 16v head to the 8v turbo block, and how I might overcome them?

I seem to remember the guys that did the basics of the head swap on this forum claimed there was no valve interference.

welshpug

IIRC you need to drill and tap a hole for the second cambelt tensioner.

though I have heard that some blocks already have the hole there.

Guest davetibbs

I wonder if there's any link between, say, whether the threaded hole exists, and whether the engine is fitted with flat-topped rather than dished pistons?

Maybe some 2.0 8v engines have the same block as the T16?

Hilgie

the threaded hole is there....C/R is fine, so just fit it together :)

It's no problem that it has flattops as the T16 has flattops as well....the pistons sit low down the bore, so they can never hit the valves.

Guest davetibbs

Fantastic Hilgie, thanks so much for your help!!

Ant

I'm hoping to having a crack at this at some point this year..

Ive got an Mi16 Head and a spare 2.0 turbo lump.

Ive done a fair bit of reading the other articles, but theres not a lot of topics on its success..

I need to weld up a custom exhaust manifold and purchase a turbo to bolt on.. Custom downpipe ?

Then theres the ECU.. ie KMS or megasquirt..

Intercooler - cossy IC ?

Injectors.. Will the standard MI16 / 2.0 turbo injectors be okay..

Mi16 flywheel and clutch

Is there anything else i need to consider

Cheers

Ant

Hilgie

You've answered most of your questions already. Regarding the injectors I thin you need fairly big ones, ie 440cc or even bigger.

Mi16 flywheel wil probably be fine, just fit a sportsclutch or even a GTi6 pulltype clutch with a Helix plate.

Malachy

i am just about to start this on my 306 at the moment just got hold of a tig welder (selco genesis 164blh),

I am going to fabricate inlet and exhaust manifolds (moving tb to left side of manifold rather than normal right for ease of ic piping) also made a home made flow bench and am going to do a bit of head work on it see how it turns out.

i will probably end up using a T3. 0.60 trim turbo or similar because they are cheap'ish and should suit my needs (any other turbos recomended?)

as for injectors i am on the look out for some at the moment i have some saab redtops (360cc/min 0 280 150 431) but i dont think these will be up to the job.

ill also be using a MLS cometic head gasket and my megasquirt with ms2+extra code (alpha stage at moment) ill report back wth any findings will be making a start on it next week :(

regards

Andy

Edited by Malachy

GLPoomobile
I am going to fabricate inlet and exhaust manifolds (moving tb to left side of manifold rather than normal right for ease of ic piping)

Something I've often wondered, is there a valid reason (other then the fabrication involved) why more people don;t move the TB to the other side? For instance is it something to do with airflow properties? Does the engine need to be fed air from the 'normal' side to run at it's best?

Because where an intercooler is used, it definately is the ideal way to do it. Ok, most people won;t because they are keeping the original Inlet or whatever, but I've seen a few people using Carbs or ITBS and a custom made Airbox, so why don;t they have the Airbox fabricated with the inlet on the other side (nearside for us Brits)?

Malachy

the only reason i can see is that if its running into an air filter like an N/a

then you dont have much room going to the left for the filter box, especially with stock 205's having the jack in the way and 306's having PAS resevour and washer botle there to prevent the air filter being fitted easily, you also have the PAS pump and AC pumps on this side.

however with turbo aplication this is not a problem and you can just drop the pipe straight down into the ic mamking less pipework and a much easier cleaner setup as you will have the turbo sitting above the gearbox, with pipes running to right hand side of ic then pipes runing from left side of ic straight up into the tb on the fabricated pipes to miss the pas (i have moved my pas pump to bottomn mount anyway)

Edited by Malachy

Guest davetibbs

It's great to see some replies to this, looking forward to us all making progress on 16v turbo engines :(

Personally, my welding skills are mediocre at best, so I'm very tempted to shell out on a DP engineering 16v turbo manifold. I have a GTI6 inlet manifold for the inlet side of things which as I understand it is a good inlet manifold - I don't think I'll change the orientation of the inlet, I'll just get an I/C that has the inlet and outlet on one side.

For management I was thinking maybe going with the VEMS as it's DP Engineering's system of choice, and looks pretty good...

Sign in to follow this